chapter 21

Amber's Perspective 2 weeks later.

I was positively in ecstasy when Desmond ask me to marry him. The warm glow of candlelight and his arms around me is what my mind has been replaying for two weeks. I didn't know if he felt the same way and I've been walking on clouds ever since he placed an emerald ring on my finger. Every time I look down upon it, I smile. We exchange letters every now and then but they're stiff and all we do is talk about astronomy. Which is okay but I really want to see him in person. Which is why I'm really looking forward to this Saturday. I'm throwing an anniversary party for my parents. Ten years of marriage is a big deal. And so I'm inviting everyone. Including Desmond and his family.

Halfway through the preparations, I get an idea. I run out of the ballroom to leave Bailiwick to the decorating. Last year for my parent's 9th anniversary, mom made dad an apple pie and had a picnic with him. She made it herself and they both carved time out of their busy schedules to have a picnic. So that's what I'm going to do.

A lot of the maids are confused as to why I'm in the kitchen. Everyone straightens up and I'm offered a million platters with a million different hors d'oeuvres to be served later tonight.

" No thank you. If one of you would kindly hand me an apple pie recipe and point me to the necessary tools, that will be all."

" Oh princess, we can make it for you."

"I'd like to do it myself thank you."

"Okay?"

The poor girl is terribly confused but does what I ask anyway. Two hours later I have something that looks like someone sat on it. Hopefully, it tastes better than it looks. I place it on the cooling rack and start the second part of my plan.

I take my quilt and as many pillows as I can carry and make my way into the library. In the back left corner, a lot of the shelves are placed closer together because it's full of books in other languages; the section rarely ever gets used by anyone in the castle. This is why it's perfect for my plan.

I fold the fluffy quilt in half and lay it on the ground in between the two shelves. Then I take the top layer and bunch it up against the wall forming a back. Then I take the pillows I brought and put them up against the wall formatting a couch of sorts. Several trips later and I've effectively created a comfortable pillow nest in the library.

I take a step back and smile at my work. Then I head back to the kitchen to put the finishing touches on my plan.

Desmond's perspective the Anniversary ball.

When I enter I'm immediately made aware of her presence when I hear her laughter. She is talking to the king and queen of Frezenberg.

She looks beautiful. She's wearing a sweetheart neckline pink dress that ends just above her calves. In her heels, she just might be as tall as me. Her hair is half up half down held with a star pin she looks perfect.

As I approach her, the king and queen of Friedenberg walk away. She seems confused but when she notices me her smile grows even more. She pulls me onto the dance floor and for three songs,she does not leave my arms.

Then she does something unexpected her smile changes to one of nervous anticipation. She takes my arm and leads me off the dance floor which confuses me further.

When she heads for the door, I'm positively flabbergasted. She works so hard to plan this party there's no possible way she would want to leave it.

"Amber, where are we going?"

"Somewhere where we can be alone." Her smile has my heart rate through the roof and I stagger to keep up with her.

"But you worked so hard to plan this party, don't you want to see people enjoying it?"

" I've had enough of that, come follow me."

She leads me into the library, a good choice as being surrounded by books is a familiar setting for me. It somehow puts me at ease. She leads me to the foreign language section and steps away. Lifting her arms in a Y position, she does jazz hands proudly presenting a picnic? I think? but she looks so proud of it she steps over the tray of food and sits down on a makeshift pillow nest couch thing.

"Come on sit!"She's smiling so large I can't help but comply.

She hands me a plate with a piece of apple pie on it. She must have made it herself because it's awful. The bottom is burned and she used salt instead of sugar. But I swallow it anyway and smile. She must have done this for me. The orange juice was bad as well it still has some rind and seeds in it but she's smiling so large that I can't help but smile too.

We finish eating in silence. Now we're just staring at each other.

" You did all this for me?" I ask.

" Yeah. I love you."She breaks eye contact and fiddles with her fingers. That's when I noticed she's wearing her engagement ring. My heart stops and I have to remind myself to breathe.

" I love you too." the words tumble out of my mouth but I managed to look her in the eyes.

She was blushing profusely but her blush slowly fades as she moves closer to me. She puts her hands on my shoulders and pushes me up against the bookcase. Before I have time to process her body is against mine and she's kissing me.

I melt inside and almost forget to kiss her back. But as she starts pulling away I follow her. not wanting her to go. Putting my hand behind her head I gently ease her onto the ground. Suddenly my brain acknowledges that I'm on top of her and I break the kiss.

My face is fiery red. I know it but I can't move. Amber just smiles patiently up at me.

" C-Can I kiss you?"I asked.

"Yes, you dope." Amber lifts her head off the ground and our lips meet again. Slowly we both relax into another long kiss.