chapter 13

James POV

I fall into my bed still fully dressed in finery. I press my hands to my eyes. I'm exhausted but my mind is fully awake and racing about.

I remember dancing with Princess Cleo. Her hot pink gauzy dress left sparkles stuck to my green jacket. I allow myself to relive the dance I shared with her.

" Prince James, you look quite handsome tonight. Of course, you always do." Princess Cleo greets me. As she curtsies, she extends her hand waiting for me to ask her to dance. As we move across the floor, she compliments me again and again. She smiled flirtatiously and instead of having her hand on my shoulder, It rested on my chest over my heart. She also stood a little too close.

Princess Cleo is anything but shy. She's liked me ever since we were children. But would I be happy if I married her?

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Isabel. Once my dance with Cleo was finished, I strode over to Isabel.

 Once my dance with Cleo was finished, I  strode over to Isabel

"Care to dance?"

"Yes, please!" She grabbed my arm and jerked me onto the dance floor.

" I was locked in the most boring conversation. Thank you for saving me. Do you want to sneak away and spar later? I've gotten better at fencing."Isabel spoke quickly. She said all of that in one breath.

Isabel smiled lopsidedly. Her unruly brown hair was tied back with a blue silk ribbon. She still smelled of the sea.

"That would be fun. But sneaking away might be kind of hard." I lamented.

" Trust me. I'm an expert." she winked at me. Isabelle always knows how to have the most fun and the best Adventures. But would she be a good mother?

Isa was one of the only girls there in a short dress. Ever the tomboy, she still looks beautiful. When our dance is over I have a few bruised toes. But Isa always manages to make me laugh.

"Later?"

" Sure."

" Oh I see Gwen. I'm going to go say hi." Isabella waved goodbye and left me alone on the dance floor.

I was thirsty so I navigated my way through the crowd toward the punch bowl. Sophia was there and so was Princess Vivian. I smiled, glad they were here.

As I made my way toward them I watched Hugo saunter up. I watched closely as he interacted with my sister. I restrained myself from going into protective older brother mode. Hugo is my friend and Sophia can take care of herself. I knew these things. But my instincts to annoy Hugo can get in the way. However, Hugo is a much better man than a lot of people who have shown interest in my little sister. I let him have his moment.

I turned my attention to Princess Vivian. She was wearing another off-the-shoulder gown. It was quite becoming. The light pink color brought out the pink in her cheeks. And the dress was holding her snugly around the waist. Fake butterflies were sprinkled around the skirt. It gave an ethereal effect. She looked friendly and approachable. But also stunningly beautiful. Vivian had her hair in a large bun at the back of her head. Fake butterfly pins were holding it together. Such a shame. She always looks so pretty with her hair tumbling over her shoulders.