chapter 7

Amber's perspective

Over to the right side of my room sitting on a mattress, Isabel was braiding Hildegard's hair. Vivian was playing the lute, while Sophia and Cleo sang by my window. Elena was sitting on my bed watching them. I knew there was going to be a meteor shower tonight and right now looked like the perfect opportunity to sneak away and watch it. No one would miss me, right?

I made my way up to the observatory. I didn't want to look through the big telescope because I wanted to see more than one shooting star at a time. By the time I had my telescope set up the meteor shower had started. The meteor shower was brief and ended within 5 minutes.

I continued to gaze up at the heavens. A new green star caught my attention.

"Strange, I've never seen that green one before."I reached over to the nearby pile of books and star charts looking for the mysterious green star. "It's not on here?

"That's because I discovered  it recently

"That's because I discovered it recently."I jumped and turned around quickly. Desmond stood in front of me. I've been so absorbed in my studies I had not heard the elevator door open.

Desmond's hair was combed to perfection. His royal blue suit looks starched and ironed, not a single crease. I know he's a royal but I find myself wondering if he did that himself. Also, when did he have time to change out of his jersey.

"Hi, Des, what did you name it? You know, so I can write it down on the map."I reached over for a pen that was sitting on top of a pile of books.

" Well I named it, I named it Amberina minor." Desmond's hands were folded behind his back and he was looking down at his squirming feet.

I was so shocked I made a line halfway across the Milky Way. I quickly dropped the map to avoid embarrassment.

To hide my blushing face I bent down to peer through the telescope once more." "That's odd. Sagittarius should be right here." The telescope moved 60 degrees to the right. Desmond had moved it.

" Oh, there it is." I blushed deeply. I was embarrassed for being wrong

"Well, I must be going to bed."My urge was to bolt out of the observatory.

"Yeah, I only came up here to watch the meteor shower." Des scratches the back of his head. He still refused to make eye contact.

"I'm sorry you missed it. It was lovely. Well, good night Des."

Desmond looked me straight in the eyes. " Good night, Amber."He was certainly a lot braver than he had been the last time I met him.

I knew I should go back to the party but I just needed a minute to think things over. Too much happened tonight and I hadn't had time to process it.

On autopilot, I found my way to Sophia's room. A place where I had sought comfort many times before. I sat on my sister's bed and curled my knees into my chest. I felt like sobbing and laughing and doing nothing all at once.