Chapter 12

Sophia's POV

A sound of joy escapes from inside me. I'm so happy that Hugo and I are on the same page.

I notice Hugo's facial expression soften. He is staring at my lips. I'm so nervous. I have knots in my stomach. I've never kissed anybody before. I stop breathing for a second. I lean forward in nervous anticipation. I close my eyes waiting.

But it never comes. I open my eyes to see that my amulet is glowing. I have a story-keeping mission. "Why now?" I grumble.

"Sofia, your amulet is glowing?" Hugo speaks in a quiet but surprised way.

"Yeah. I have a story keeping mission."

"A what?"

"The great wizard Alcazar gathered unfinished stories into a great library. It's my job to help finish them. And unfortunately, that means I have to go."I explained as quickly as I could. I stood up begrudgingly.

Hugo grabs my hand to stop me from going. " I'll come too." I smile at him to tell him that he can.

" It might be dangerous,"I tell him. I walk past the stairs to the balcony and around the corner of the building. If we go through the ballroom we will most likely be stopped by someone. But if we shrink down and enter through the secret tunnel that's on this wall we can get to the secret Library faster.

" You don't think I can take it?"He pretends to be offended.

" You can most definitely take it. Just a forewarning."I giggle at him.

" Sof you sneak off at random times and do dangerous things?"

" All the time. Even when I was twelve."

"How are you not grounded for life?"

"You know I don't know." I shrug.

"Take my hand."

"I have no objections to that. But the way you're looking at me is kind of freaking me out."Hugo does take my hand.

" I wish to be small." I close my eyes to avoid dizziness. Drat, I probably should have told Hugo to do that too. Hugo staggers along and I pull him into the secret tunnel.

"You have powers!?"

"My amulet gives them to me."

"I knew it was important to you but wow. Is that why you never take it off?"

"One of the reasons. Mostly I promised my dad I wouldn't and my amulet alerts me of story-keeping missions. So yeah. Also without it I can't understand my animal friends."

"You can talk to animals? Like actually talk to them?"Hugo seems excited by this news.

"Yeah."I look back to smile at him. Then I realize I haven't let go of his hand.

" I just thought it was a cute habit of yours to talk to animals as if they were humans. But all this time you could actually understand them. Huh."

When the magic boat pulls up Hugo asks "Where are the oars?"

"It's magic. The boat only ever takes me to the secret Library."

For the rest of the boat ride, Hugo remains silent staring at all the wonderful decorations. He is probably wondering who decorated all this.

When we arrived at the gate, I reach into a secret pocket that holds the key to the library. I installed pockets in each one of my dresses so I can constantly carry around the key. You never know when you're going to be sent on a mission.

As I walk into the Library, I hear Hugo's gasps from behind me. I sit down on the bench and motion for him to do the same.

"You have a lot of secrets," Hugo states wistfully as he cranes his neck to look around the library.

"Not from you. Well, I mean, I do but all you need to do is ask. I'll tell you."I start wringing my hands.

"Here comes the story!"I point to the book floating down. It lands in my hands and I look at the title.

"The goblin loving princess" The book is taken out of my hands by an invisible force and the Story begins to display itself in front of our eyes.

"Princess Charlotte is in love with a wonderful and kind goblin named Morris. They go for long walks and they love dancing together."The invisible narrator speaks.

" Oh, I know them." I smile, glad I'll be able to visit and help my friends again. But I'm also worried about what could be amiss.

" Morris loves Charlotte very much. He is planning to ask her to become his wife. But when her parents hear of it, they ruin everything. They plan to banish Morris tonight. Princess Charlotte is heartbroken."

"The storytelling mist fades and I stand up ready to jump into action to help my friends."

"Where's the rest of the story?"Hugo looks at me.

"That's where we come in. It's our job to give the story a happy ending. Come on, we have to go save my friends."I fill my voice with urgency. I don't want Morris to be banished and I really don't want him to be separated from Charlotte.

"How do we get there?"Hugo stands up with a serious look in his eye. He adjusts his coat in a quite businesslike manner.

"I wish Minimus- and Elektra would come to me."

Hugo and I go up in the magical elevator. From far off we see the horses coming to get us.

We mount up and fly through the night sky.