chapter 24

Sophia's perspective.

In the corner of my very sharp bird eyes, I see James run to the room carrying weapons.

" Sofia! Hugo!"He throws the weapons towards us. Mida, I shift back into a girl and catch the sword. I immediately run toward Ivy with my sword raised. Hugo is just behind me. Ivy is off-puttingly calm. I bring my sword down toward her head as hard as I can. But my sword shatters and I fall back and hit the ground. I hear a ringing in my ears. Hugo instantly races in front of me, sword brandished.

"In our time apart dearest Sophia, I have gathered some magic." A green orb appears in her hand. She shoots it at James who just barely dodges it by diving with his hands together and rolling away.

Just to the left of James, I see Desmond bolt into the kitchen. He has a determined look on his face. By the brief look I got of his eyes I can tell the gears in his brain are turning.

I hear a strange melody coming from the garden. Ivy hears it too and she turns. The music stops momentarily as Vivian opens the door to the ballroom carrying her mandolin and enters into the chaos. I watch as an ice ball hits the back of Ivy's head and she turns in a flurry of rage toward Amber, still with her arm outstretched.

"You'll die for that!"Ivy's nostrils flare and her lips curl into a snare. A vein in her neck is also popping out.

The music starts up again in a lively tune as bright pink musical notes careen toward Ivy. Ivy, distracted once more, turns her attention toward Vivian. James is in front of her looking seriously pissed off. When did he...? It doesn't matter. We're in the middle of a battle. The ringing in my head finally stops and I manage to get to my feet. Hugo, as quick as a wink, runs towards Ivy and traps his sword around her waist threatening to cut her half.

Ivy's body explodes into a cloud of black and white butterflies. It was as if her body flaked and folded itself to make thousands of wings. The kaleidoscope of black and white butterflies arc over the ballroom ceiling and twist down in a spiral to head out of the window.

The window is slammed closed by Amber. Her pink dress is covered in soot and the star pin in her hair is about to fall out. She turns her head and I can see the murderous look in her eyes. But why has she closed the window? We were just about to be rid of our attacker.

Then I see Desmond carrying a pot of something green. He tries to splash it on the black butterflies but slips on a piece of ice turned ammunition. Half the pot's contents slap out of the pot as Desmond goes sprawling.

The horde of butterflies that is Ivy descends, reforming as she folds back into herself. "Oh, little prince. Trying to steal my magic. So brave. So clumsy." Ivy takes a fistful of Desmond's hair and wrenches it so he has to look into her face. The pot was just out of his reach.

"I'm 5'8"!" Desmond says, his splayed fingers finally grasping the handle of the black pot as he hurls the contents onto Ivy."

"AAaaa!"She screams as torrents of green goo eat at the left side of her flesh. Her arm and stomach are covered in whatever Desmond made.

She arcs back up into the sky but the green goo has clearly hindered her. Every few seconds, she turns back into herself and starts plummeting. She goes on this way slamming up and down with the green slime bringing color to the black and white butterflies. It's a strange sight against the night sky. She's retreating. We won this fight.

"What were you thinking?"James says, holding Vivian's shoulders.

" I..."Vivian looks crushed.

"Look, I'm sorry. You were helpful. It's just I'm used to this feeling with Sofia and Amber. I've had to grow accustomed to it throughout the years. But not with you." James looks into Vivian's eyes. He looks so vulnerable. He seems to be saying you're my weak spot.

Vivian smiles a whisper of a smile and goes on tiptoe to kiss my older brother!

"When did this happen!?"Amber asks.

James's neck goes red and he starts to scratch it. "Um..."

"Never mind that! I know how to stop Ivy!" Desmond says excitedly with a huge grin on his face. He clambers up from the floor, his hair all tousled and a bit of green goo hanging from his blue slacks.

"How?!" I asked in disbelief."

" I know how to take her magic away. I created a highly acidic potion that would corrode her flesh away. She thought it was a potion to take her magic away. The green color of the two potions are rather similar but the properties are very different."

" Desmond, you're a genius."Amber throws her arms around his neck and kisses his cheek.

"Thanks."His entire face, neck and even hands tinge red. "Oh, but that's not all" he straightens. Watching Hugo attack Ivy, I figured out she can only shield herself from one side at a time. If we use Vivian's magical music to sneak attack her with the potion we can get her."Desmond slams his fist into his hand triumphantly.

"All right Des," Hugo says as he takes my hand.

"I knew that too."Hugo Whispers in my ear.

"Which Part? You're not into potions." I retort.

"When Amber chucked that ice ball I figured out that Ivy's protective magic had limits.''Hugo states. His head is leaning towards mine so only I can hear him.

"Not going to grab any of the credit?" I ask.

"Nah. Let Desmond have his moment." Hugo looks at Desmond and smiles. Desmond does look very happy. Amber on his arm, James clapping him on the back. Desmond's cheeks are tinged pink and his smile is from ear to ear.