chapter 18

We arrived at the palace.

The entire carriage ride Sophia never let go of Clover. As we make our entrance into the Great Hall, Miranda suggests to Sophia that she rest in her room." Sophia if you're not feeling up to go to the peace ball in fidèllueur tonight I'll stay home with you sweetheart. You go rest okay. Queen Miranda kisses Sofia's forehead" 

Sophia nodded, wishing to obey her mother. As her mother was about to leave. " I don't know where my room is," Sophia speaks softly into Clover's neck. But Miranda hears and turns around.

" Oh, how silly of me. I'm so sorry Sophia darling. Hugo, would you take her to her room please."

Sophia and I walk in silence to her room. Right as we reached the door I stop and open it for her.

" Hugo, who am I to you?"Sophia looks boldly into my eyes and for the first time I see Sofia again. The familiar boldness, bravery, and kindness that is so characteristic of the girl I love. I have the urge to kiss her right there but she doesn't remember me. I can't do that to her. She seems to trust me and her trust is very valuable.

"Sofia, you're my best friend. My hero. Someone who I look up to and cherish and always want in my life."

She looks at me quizzically before closing her door and disappearing. I slumped down on the wall sitting on the floor across from Sophia's door. I should have just told her that we're engaged but I didn't want to scare her.

"What on Earth are you doing! "

I leap to my feet and jump into a defensible position in front of Sophia's door. Only to find Princess Amber behind me with her hands on her hips.

"You're still here! My sister is in there with lost memory and you are still here."

" Yes,I want to help her in any way I can."

"If you wanted to help her you'd be in there." Amber opens Sophia's door and starts pushing me inside.

"Amber, what on Earth are you talking about?" I say bracing my arms against the sides of the door stopping her from shoving me inside.

"Are you a nitwit, true love's kiss. Get in there, save my sister!"

My entire body goes slack at the idea."I, you think, could it really work?"I love Sophia. I just hope it's enough to save her.

"Yes. I don't know why I didn't think of it before."Amber smacks herself on the forehead.

"Okay. I'll try."I straighten and march into Sophia's room. I hear the door slam behind me. Sophia emerges from the closet and slowly approaches me.

"Sophia I don't know if..."

" I don't remember. But I do know that we're engaged."

" How?!"

" You were there when I woke up. My entire family seems fine with your constant presence around me and we're both wearing wedding bands."

I stare at her dumbstruck. My mouth is probably hanging open.

"Besides that laying my eyes on you, I get this warm feeling here."She points to her chest. "And this excited happy feeling here."She points to her stomach. "That combined with the other evidence led me to believe that we are in love. Even if I don't remember how we fell in love. We are in love right?" Sophia speaks quickly fidgeting with her velvet purple skirt.

"Yes, we're engaged to be married,"I say deadpan.

"Aren't we like 16?" Sophia speaks up and speaks in an almost sarcastic voice. Her eyes squint, her jaw slants to one side making her look exaggeratedly perplexed.

I laugh."Well, we aren't going to get married for a few years but that's kind of how being a royal child works.

"Um, but Sophia, seeing as we are in love and engaged, Amber thought that maybe true love's kiss might bring back your memory. So I was wondering even though you don't really remember me, is it all right if I kissed you?"

"Worth a shot right." She shrugs her shoulders but she is blushing.

I pull her closer and slowly move my face towards hers. I timidly, tenderly place my lips against hers. Fully aware of the purple velvet against my black cotton. For a moment she's just standing there unmoving and I'm holding my breath. Suddenly she grabs my shoulders pulling me closer and kisses me back vigorously.

She pulls away for a moment " It worked! Hugo, it worked.''Then just as quickly as she pulled away she moves closer and kisses me again. I pick her up and swing her around still kissing her. She breaks our kiss with her laughter. As I set her down I pull her closer unwilling to let her go.

Sophia's laughter is the best sound in the world.