chapter 8

Monday morning CSS Hugo's perspective

I arrive at school early. The air is quite crisp in the Fall colors are vibrant this morning. Unfortunately, I can't look at it long I have to go to the office to inquire about Sofia. I want to ask to be her guide on the first day. I also want to know where her locker is to see if I can persuade someone to switch with me.

I practically leap out of the carriage and hit the ground running. I slow as I enter through the wooden double doors. As I make my way to the office I note for the millionth time the hundreds of awards displayed on the blue walls of the academy.

I swing open the tan office door misses Comer seems surprised to see me.

"Prince Hugo, you aren't in trouble this early in the morning, Are you?"

"That was one time it wasn't even my fault," I whispered under my breath. I had been mucking out the horse stall and some jerk came and push down hard on my hand causing the poop to fly onto the instructor's head. Who was holding the shovel? Who got blamed? Me. 

 In the five years, I went to CSS I got in trouble once and I had been wrongly accused. But of course, Mrs. Comber never forgets.

"No ma'am. I was informed that my good friend Princess Sofia of Enchancia Is going to attend here soon. I would like to be her guide. I would also like to know her locker is so I can say hi to her and stuff."I started out confident and proper. That was the best way to talk around Mrs. Comber. Unfortunately, I ended sounding awkward.

With the heat I feel on my face I can only hope I'm not blushing."

"Thank you dear boy I was worried I was going to have to rope some poor first year into showing the princess around. Her Locker number is 130."

I felt elated. My friend Charlie had Locker number 129. This was perfect. Of course, the locker was in between the boy's bathroom and a trash can. It was also the furthest possible you can get from my homeroom. But it would be next to Sofia. That would make it all worth it.

"Thank you, Mrs. Comber. "

I rased to my locker and hurled everything into my backpack. Then I practically sprinted to Charlie's Locker.

" Hey, Charlie you want to switch lockers?" I spoke quickly and excitedly but I just couldn't help it.

" Why? I've been begging you to switch lockers since the beginning of the school year. We know my locker isn't Prime real estate. Because it's so far away from homeroom I'm late every time. What's in it for you?"

"Charlie you were only joking begging. And out of the goodness of my heart, I decided to help you out." During the first part, Charlie was nodding agreeing with me. But when I started talking about the goodness of my heart Charlie became more skeptical.

"Hugo cut the crap."Charlie was smiling as he shoved my shoulder playfully.

"Okay okay so my very good friend from my old school is coming and this will be her locker."I use the knuckle of my pointer finger to wrap on Locker number 29. "So I want to have your locker. "

"Her? Oh my, Hugo. You have a sweetheart! I knew there was a reason you didn't pay any attention to the girls here. Of course, I thought you were fruity but this makes so much more sense."He was talking loudly just to annoy me. His loud tone and teasing manner made me flush.

"Can it." I managed a hoarse but firm response.

"Out of all the beautiful girls here that constantly hit on you." " ow," He shouted. "This girl must be really something. Maybe I want her for myself. Maybe I don't want to switch lockers with you."Charlie was teasing me relentlessly. I'm so glad there's barely anyone around watch. All of the people who were around us were definitely watching.

"You do that you're asking for a beating."I glared at Charlie his teasing was getting old fast.

"Okay man I'll switch lockers with you if you give me your dessert for a month"

"What 2 weeks ago you would have switched for free."

" Don't you know anything about supply and demand?"

"A week."I made my counter offer. Making sure to look him straight in the eye boldly.

Charlie just shook his head at my counter offer.

"A week and a half" I offer. Charlie raised his eyebrow but said nothing. He was not budging.

"Two weeks."I sighed. How long was this debate going to last?

"4 weeks" Charlie crossed his arms.

"You just said the original offer again."I laughed. Good old Charlie was trying to pull a fast one on me.

"All right 2 weeks it is." Charlie stuck his hand out for me to shake. I took it and grinned at him.

"Do you need help carrying your books over?" Charlie asked me.

" Nah dude I have everything in my backpack."

" How about you?"

" I can use a lick of help."Charlie opened his locker A bad smell came from deep within the depths of the abyss that was Charlie's locker.

Charlie picked up the heaviest books and dumped them in my arms. Charlie took everything he could carry. But there was still a pile of papers and the odd pair of gym shorts. Then we made our way over to my former locker.

" Swanky you really kept it clean," Charlie said as he dumped all of his books on the floor of the locker.

"Do you need to go back for the papers that are still on the floor of your old Locker?"

"Oh, those there old. I hope."

"Okay man thanks." I waved.

Charlie smiled." smile. I ain't doing this for free."I laughed good old Charlie. Ever the businessman