chapter 14

Time skip at the pool party Desmond perspective

I'm sitting on a pool chair off to the side of the room underneath an umbrella, reading a book. I feel rather detached from the group, so I decide to scan the room.

I looked to the left side of the room first. James and Xander are splashing violently in the pool. Vivian is calmly sitting on the ledge in the deep end with her feet dangling in. Slightly askew, but directly across from me Hildegard and Cleo are stretched out on pool chairs with tropical-looking drinks in their hands. They must have planned ahead because they're wearing matching swimsuits. Cleo's is pink and Hildegard's is blue.

Amber, however, is not with them. I scan to the right of the room.

I see the tall and intimidating Prince Axel standing in front of Amber

I see the tall and intimidating Prince Axel standing in front of Amber. I don't exactly know what's happening, but Amber looks angry. Without thinking, I stand up and make my way towards them.

" You pig!" Amber shouts.

" What? I complimented you."

" No girl wants that kind of compliment. Hey, my eyes are up here!"Instantly I understand the situation. I take off my blue rash guard and push it over Amber's head. Then protectively wrap my arm around her waist pulling her closer to me.I do this swiftly, in one motion.

" Axel, aren't you betrothed to Hildegard's older sister, Princess Astrid?."I say, Cooley.

"Yes."Axle is glaring at me.

"Where is she?"

"She has a cold."He speaks reluctantly.

"That's too bad."I smile nervously at him.

Amber's perspective.

"You pig!"I yell at Axle. I'm so flabbergasted and angry that's the only thing I can think of to say.

" What? I complimented you." he shrugs it off.

You call a rude comment a compliment?. "No girl wants that kind of compliment."I try to make eye contact but find he's looking elsewhere.

" My eyes are up here!" Suddenly warm blue swimsuit fabric is pushed over my head and onto my body. It shocks me so much I stop yelling.

. My body goes rigid and I snap my head to view the offender. My face twists into a look of utter surprise Desmond?

I take my hands off my hips. I put my arms through the sleeves of the rash guard Desmond. I can't believe it.

He puts his arm around my waist and pulls me closer to his side. I am so shocked. I don't even move, I just stand there gaping at him. I probably look quite indignant with my mouth hanging open and my eyebrows twisted like that. But at least the navy blue rash guard matches the yellow of my swimsuit.

Desmond is standing up for me. I just can't wrap my mind around it. I just stare at him. I'm not even listening to the conversation.

Desmond's hair is combed nicely and without his rashguard, I can see his abs. I didn't think he worked out. His face is fierce as he's rebuking Axel. The warmth of his arm around my waist makes me feel safe and giddy with excitement. I barely register when Axel walks away. Desmond quickly removes his arm from me, blushing profusely. I'm still frozen in the same pose. Staring at him, I shake my head a little trying to regain the proper mental capacity.

Desmond turns to walk away. But before he can, I kiss him on the cheek which stops him in his tracks. " My hero," I whisper.

Desmond says something but I can't understand him. He quickly pivots and walks back to where he was sitting before. I watch him to go for a moment before sauntering my way over to Hildegard and Cleo. They have a tropical drink and a patch of sunlight waiting for me. Based on the way they're staring at me They expect a story. Their sunglasses are far down on their noses. They both have one leg out one leg up and they're both staring at me.