Chapter 3

Hugo's perspective.

"Sofia is probably in her room sleeping," James said motioning the way to Sophia's room. He started walking up a marble staircase.

" That doesn't sound like Sophia. When I was in the amulet, she always went to bed at the same time. I never once saw her take a nap."Princess Elena speaks quickly picking up her skirt to follow James.

"She's been over doing..."James started to say. Before I cut him off.

"Wait. Inside the amulet? As in Sofia's amulet? You were trapped inside Sofia's amulet?"I was really shocked. My jaw was so far down I'm sure someone could stare straight into my esophagus.

"Yes. I was trapped inside Sofia's amulet for 40 years. Way before it belonged to her. As Sophia's friend, I'm surprised you didn't know."Princess Elena flipped her long hair. She smiled down at me, but I only looked at her shoe prints in the plush velvet carpet.

I did not know anything about Sofia's amulet(other than the fact she'd promised her father never to take it off.). I thought about why I didn't know much as my hand traced the gold accents in the marble railing.

Sophia freed Elena from her amulet. Then helped her get her rightful place on the throne. Over summer break."James stated that so nonchalantly. Didn't even turn his head back to face me.

"Gees. That girl." I was impressed. That's really the only thing I can say. I was so baffled words weren't exactly coming to his mind.

"My little sister sure is something. Oh, we're almost to Sophia's room we just have to turn right up there." James pointed to where we were going to go. The hallway was lined with life-size portraits in gold frames. The floor was marble but the center of the hallway was carpeted with red.

Then an auburn ponytail whipped around the corner. We caught a glimpse of a purple dress as a beautiful young woman struggling to pull on a black shoe muttered something to herself. She was hopping on one foot speedily and didn't see us.

"I'm late. I'm late. I'm late. Amber's going to kill me." Red hair from her ponytail flopped into her face. That's how I noticed the Brilliant Blue of her eyes and the minuscule freckles on her nose.

Then it dawned on me, that was Sophia. The baby fat that had clung to her cheeks when she was 8 was completely gone. She had become taller. But she was also wearing heels. It appeared that purple was still her favorite color.

"There you are, Sophia. Everyone's looking for you."

James's voice seemed to startle Sophia. I seem to watch the whole thing in slow motion. Sophia stood up quickly to try to make her way towards us. But she didn't put on her shoe quite right. The buckle had been too loose. Her foot slipped out of the shoe causing the buckle to pop. This caused her to stumble.

I knew she was going to fall so I raced up to catch her. She landed on my chest awkwardly. She was currently half her height. Her arms were around my waist and one of her knees was almost touching the floor. I quickly offered my hand to haul her up.

She took my hand In one of her own and gracefully rose to her full height. I'm so impressed that she could stand up so gracefully when she was standing on an uneven surface one foot in the heel the other bare against the red carpet of the floor.

Sofia took a moment to brush off her skirt. She spoke eloquently, but when our eyes met she faltered."Thank you so much for catching me...Hugo?"

"Hi, Sofia."

Sofia hugged me. Her hair smelled like cinnamon.

"What have you been up to Hugo?"Sofia took a step back and lowered herself to pick up her shoe.