Bonus chapter 7

The click of Sophia's heels on the cobblestone sends my adrenaline racing. What adventure will we go on? In my short time dating Sophia, she has told me many stories of her crazy story-keeping adventures. We could literally end up anywhere in the world in the next few hours. I was so ready for this.

We snuck into the stables and silently tacked up our horses. My hands seamlessly worked the leather through the bucklesMy eyes were otherwise engaged, I take this opportunity to take in Sophia's beauty. Her Auburn ponytail hangs down slightly obscuring her face as she tightens minimus's saddle girth.

We've been here for a few minutes now and haven't encountered anyone. The security in this place is horrible. Do the groomsmen know how expensive flying horses are? Then again it is helpful when you're playing hooky with your girlfriend to go save somebody you don't know at all.

Bridles in hand and horses trailing we walk out into the courtyard. I follow Sophia's lead and take off into the sky. The familiar cold sensation of the wind whipping all around me made me close my eyes to savor it. My black locks lift off my forehead my cheeks ting red from the wind's touch.

"It's not much further" Sophia's tenor voice calls back to me.

Rising before me I see the strangest tree I have ever beheld. It looks as if multiple trunks are twisting together to create a tower of sorts clothed in vines and decorated with pink and purple flowers.

"That has to be magic there is no way that was created naturally,"I say point blank staring at the towering structure. Instead of going to the base as I anticipated Sophia's horse Minimus kicked up higher into the air.

"A wizard built it so you're kind of right." Sophia looked back at me and shrugged her shoulders as if to say I never really thought about it.

Sophia and Minimus hover over the top of the hollow tree I start to guide Electra down Into the secret Library.

"No!"Sophia shouts I immediately pull up just in time to dodge some kind of weird flying elevator. Again the magical creation is decorated with pink and purple flowers. What is with this Wizard and flowers?

"I'm sorry I should have warned you," Sophia says dejectedly. She clutches the front of Minimus's saddle and she's staring intently at her hands.

" No harm done right," I say brushing myself off for no apparent reason.

Sophia gathers the courage to stare me in the eye. Her blue eyes entangle with my green ones."I'm sorry this is the first time that you'll be coming with me and well I'm a little nervous. So few people know about this part of my life. It's hard to share it with anyone. I guess I was so caught up in my thoughts I totally forgot to warn you. I'm sorry I got self-conscious.

" Sof hey, I am honored that you share this with me. And self-conscious? Sophia, I've seen you laugh so hard that spaghetti came out of your nose. I've seen you fall off of a flying horse more times than I can count."

"You're really making a case for my lost dignity."She leans back in her saddle with half-closed eyes as if to say you're on thin ice buddy.

"Oh totally."I smile a little bit my heart warmed by our familiar banter.

". Are you ever going to let that spaghetti thing go you've told that story at every royal function we've ever attended together."Sophia fakes annoyance but she's smiling. She enjoys telling the story just as much as I do.

"Never that story is hilarious. But in all seriousness Sophia you're the most beautiful when you laugh, even when you're covered in spaghetti. Your resilience is something that I love about you as well."I wave my hand in the air to indicate I'm dismissing our previous conversation. "Lovey-dovey stuff aside I want you to remember that I'm your best friend first."

Sophia jumped off of her horse and landes elegantly in the flying elevator.I followed suit but couldn't quite stop my momentum. To make things worse the elevator tips as if Sophia and I are inside one of those wobbly baby toys. To stop myself from crashing into Sophia I grabbed a hold of the railing and the center pole. When I opened my eyes I'm inches away from her. Suddenly the moment changes from one of flippant laughter to one of intense romantic heat.

Sophia held up her pinky in the inches between our faces. " Best friends first. her high-pitched voice says.

" Best friends first." I crossed her pinky with mine and then use that connection to pull her hand down. She closes her eyes and I kiss her. I don't know if my stomach dropped or if the elevator is actually going down.

I step out of the magical mode of transportation and offer Sophia my hand to get down. looking around the room I see more books than I've ever seen before. More than in my castle library and our school library combined. A low whistle escapes my mouth as I look around awestruck.

" This way."Sophia beckons me over to the bench In front of a huge blue translucent hourglass. Ornate blue metal swirls form the border of the 10 ft hourglass. I think the sand is fairy dust.That is the only thing that could explain the strange blue sparkle. From the many shelves high above our heads, a book floats down carried by invisible hands. I watch as it vaporizes. Its essence becomes visible forming a picture of a caravan stopped on the side of an indistinct road in the middle of a forest. The Hourglass starts telling a story with a disembodied voice.