Chapter 12 Stopping HYDRA

Maria took us to a secret facility; a man runs towards and tends to Natasha's wound.

Maria: GSW. She's lost at least a pint.

Sam: Maybe two.

Doctor: Let me take her.

Maria: She'll want to see him first.

"Who?"

Maria then leads us to another room. We are shocked to see Fury still alive.

"Fury?"

Fury: About damn time.

We all went to Fury as the doctor tends to Natasha.

Fury: Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache.

Doctor: Don't forget your collapsed lung.

Fury: Oh, let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good.

"Time out we saw you die. You had no heartbeat, no pulse, nothing... Are you a zombie?"

Fury: No, I am not a zombie. I used tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it.

Steve: Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?

Maria: Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful.

Fury: Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust.

Fury got up and we all went to a table, and he pulled out a picture of Pierce.

Fury: This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said, "Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility." See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues.

Natasha: We have to stop the launch.

Fury: I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore.

Fury opens up a case and we see three chips.

Sam: What's that?

Maria: Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized.

Fury: We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own.

Maria: One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die.

Fury: We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left...

"No, no, no, no, no. We aren't salvaging anything."

Steve: Y/N's right. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D.

Fury: S.H.I.E.L.D. had nothing to do with it.

"You said it yourself Nick S.H.I.E.L.D. has been compromised. HYDRA has been playing us all."

Fury: Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed.

Steve: And how many paid the price before you did?

Fury: Look, I didn't know about Barnes.

"Who's Barnes?"

Steve: He was my best friend but after he fell off the train it the last, I saw until now. So, Nick, even if you have, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? S.H.I.E.L.D, HYDRA, it all goes.