Chapter 6 Parting Ways

3rd POV:

Male Reporter: Despite the devastation of what has been confirmed as an extraterrestrial attack, the extraordinary heroics of the group known as the Avengers has been to many a cause bot only for comfort, but for celebration.

Male Citizen: It's really great knowing they're out there, you know. That someone's watching over us.

Female Citizen: I love you Thor!

Husband: I don't know. I don't exactly feel safer with those things out there.

Wife: It seems that there's a lot they're not telling us.

Stan Lee: Superhero's in New York? Give me a break.

Senator: These so called "heroes" have to be held responsible for the destruction done to the city. This was their fight. Where are they now?

Reporter: Tough questions are being asked about the Avengers themselves, their sudden appearance and equally sudden disappearance.

The Avengers and Selvig all walk to the center of a footbridge. Tony is carrying a briefcase, Thor has Loki in a muzzle and handcuffs, Barton, Natasha, Banner, Steve and Y/N walk from cars.

Waitress: What, that this is all somehow their fault? Captain America and Red Hood saved my life. Wherever they are, and wherever any of them are, I would just- I would wanna say thank you.

Fury is watched from a screen as the councils are with Fury on four big screens.

Council Man 2: Where are the Avengers?

Fury: I'm not currently tracking their whereabouts. I'd say they've earned a leave of absence.

Council Woman: And the Tesseract?

Fury: The Tesseract is where it belongs...out of our reach.

Council Man: That's not your call.

Fury: I didn't make it. I just didn't argue with the god that did.

Council Man: So, you let him take it and the war criminal Loki, who should be answering for his crime.

Fury: Oh, I think he will be.

Selvig take a glass cylinder out of a truck. Tony opens his case and Banner holds the Cube with some tongs and puts it into the glass cylinder Selvig has. Loki is bound and gagged in the muzzle. As he looks upon Natasha, she whispers something into Barton's ear that makes him smile. Thor holds the cylinder that has the Tesseract in it. He gestures to Loki, who grabs one end of the cylinder and Thor has the other, he nods to the others and twists the device, which lights up and the two vanish into the sky as the group looks on. Tony, Steve, and Y/N all shake hands as Tony gets into his new car. Natasha takes a duffel bag out of the back seat of a S.H.I.E.L.D car. She hands it to Banner as Barton heads to the driver's seat. Banner and Tony get into his new car and drive off. Y/N gets on his motorcycle and puts on his helmet. 

Council Woman: I don't think you understand what you've started letting The Avengers loose on this world

Council Woman: I don't think you understand what you've started letting The Avengers loose on this world. They're dangerous.

Fury: They surely are, and the whole world knows it. Every world knows it. 

Council Man: Was that the point in all this? Astatement.

Fury: A promise. 

The council signs off and Fury exits the room.

Maria: Sir, how does it work now...? They've gone their separate ways, some pretty extremely far. We get into a situation like this again, what happens then?

Fury: They'll come back.

Maria: Really sure about that?

Fury: I am.

Maria: Why?

Fury: Because we'll need them to.

Meanwhile...

The Other kneels at the feet of another alien.

The Other: The humans, they are not the cowering wretches we were promised. They stand. They are unruly and therefore cannot be ruled.

The figure in a chair stands. The Other bows, likehe is in pain.

The Other: To challenge them, is to court Death.

The figure turns and smiles, revealing himself to bethe mad titan himself... Thanos.