𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐎𝐧𝐞

Evelyn

Two weeks have gone since Warren and I broke up. But it feels like I'm still stuck in that night when he was inside me and told me how much he loves me.

I was always a bit in doubt about his real feelings toward me, but that night cleared everything for me. Warren loves me and has loved me since high school.

My heart explodes in joy but sorrow filters in the next second.

The past weeks have been nothing but dry and boring for me. Nothing interests me.

Jessica and I have been splitting work due to the flow of orders. Apparently, Noah and his sister raved about my company at the wedding and now more people have approached me. It's surreal and I feel happy. But that also means there's a lot of work which I'm appreciating.

I've become a workaholic. From making designs till late at night to holding long meetings. I keep myself as busy as I can but the ache in my chest refuses to disappear.

No amount of work or long drives helps me take my mind off him. I search for him in crowds, grocery lines, and streets hoping I'll catch a glimpse of him.

I read our old texts, flip through our pictures and touch the post-it notes he left me.

Those materialistic things are harsh reminders of the pain I've caused both of us. It's my fault that I can't move on from the past. The past ties us in ways that can't be unknotted.

Yasmine and Ivan have steered clear of the topic, but my days and nights go by fantasizing about Warren.

There's not a minute in 24 hours when I don't think about him and regret everything.

Miles misses Warren too. He gets excited whenever someone enters the office but deflates when he doesn't see the person he wants to. It's heartbreaking to watch him

"Evelyn, you for a minute?" Yasmine gets into my office and closes the door behind her.

I nod and she takes a seat.

"How are you?" She asks.

That question has become a regular thing for the past two weeks. And my answer stays the same.

"I'm fine." I give her a smile and close the tabs on my research about opening a wedding planner company. Something I've decided to launch after Christmas.

"Warren is in New York."

My heart drops in my stomach.

Warren left Seattle?

Because of me. My mind screams at me.

Guilt pumps through my veins like embers and burns every inch of me.

The thought that he isn't here anymore makes me want to cry. I miss him so fucking much.

"How do you know?" I whisper.

"Connor told me. He left the next day you guys broke up."

My heart aches inside my chest

I bite my lip to not burst out crying.

"Connor said he might not come back," Yasmine adds.

I look at her and see her sympathetic eyes.

"He shouldn't. He deserves to move on and fall in love with someone who isn't holding him back." Those words taste like acid as I say them.

Yasmine sighs and rubs her temple. "Don't tell me that bullshit. He loves you and wants you. He is exactly the man you deserve. What else do you want?"

Her words hit me in the chest.