𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲

Warren

"Do you still have the New York project?"

Rowan looks up at me with calculating eyes as he sees me coming into his office. "Yes."

"Bring it over for the signature." I unbutton my jacket and sit in the chair across from his desk.

Eerie silence fills the room as Rowan stares at me.

"You want it or not?" I ask in a gritted tone annoyed that he's wasting my damn time.

"You broke up with Evelyn." He says astutely and makes me grind my molars.

"It's none of your fucking business., but what is your business is that New York project."

Rowan leans over the desk and criss-crosses his fingers. "Watch that tone with me, Archer."

Clenching my jaw I look away from his annoying face and stare at the sunset that adorns the evening sky. Fuck the sunsets. I don't like them anymore.

Okay that's a lie.

"You wanted me to sign the project for months. Now I'm here."

"You're a little too late for my patience. But since you're the best I'll set my pride aside."

I nod, eager to sign the project and get the fuck out of this city.

When I want to ignore something I run from it. Changing cities, or places solve the problem-better than alcohol and drugs.

"But first tell me about your breakup." He leans back in the chair and I want to smack his stupid smirk.

"You need to learn to separate friendship and business."

"Trust me. I've been learning a lot about that matter lately." The mischievous glint in his eyes makes me want to know the double meaning.

"Also I feel flattered that you called me your friend. It was about damn time." Rowan adds, making me frustrated.

"Can we get to business?" I ask in a strain tone.

"After you tell me about Evelyn. How did you fuck up?"

"Excuse me? I didn't fuck up."

Rowan smirks. "Touché. Pardon me. Most of the time it's the guy's fault."

"The rest of the time it's the woman's fault." I stand up and pour myself a glass of whiskey. Fuck it. I want to numb the pain.

"What did she do? Cheat on you?"

I send him a menacing glare that shuts him up.

"Or not." He raises his arms in surrender.

"It's complicated." I walk to the windows and stare into the space as if I can make sense of last night.

"Then uncomplicate it."

I scoff. "Past can't be uncomplicated."

"Oh, so she's an old fling." He muses with a smirk.

This guy is getting on my fucking nerves.

"She's much more than a fling. I've loved her for a decade and I will for the rest of my life. So watch your tone when you speak about her." I shoot him a glare and look away, agitated why I came here in the first place.

"You've loved her for a decade? How pathetic." He rolls his eyes.

"Be careful Verlice. Universe has a wicked way of making things happen."

"Trust me, I'm immune to love." He says with such confidence that I wish for the magic to happen to him. I'd enjoy that so much.

"Only time will tell." I sip my whiskey as he stares at me stoically.