𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Evelyn

When I said Beth wouldn't be any trouble, I was wrong. The woman gets on my nerves more than Warren does. And that's something.

It's not like she isn't competent at her job; she is. It's the other things that drive me wild. She drills clients for details with a passive-aggressive attitude, which isn't how we operate. She rejects any clients who try to bargain—Beth may go for the wealthy ones but there is no leniency in the deadlines. And she calls her boss Warren—which shouldn't bother me in the least bit, but it does.

Of course, I am under a wonderful contract so I don't want to cause any more changes to it. Beth is no one that I can't deal with.

Tinsely and Justin on the other hand are perfect. Within a week they befriended everyone at the office and fell into the good graces of Miles who now spends his time with them. I guess he loves new people, even though he's wary of them at the start.

So far only a week has passed and the new members of the team are growing on me. Together we completed two orders and earned a fair amount. It wasn't much but I wasn't complaining.

One of the clients wanted a marvel-themed card which made Jessica and I work together, though I only put in suggestions. Justin replaced Opal smoothly and I didn't feel her absence. He converted the designs and then sent them to our printer guy, Elliot, who printed the cards in a few hours. I had never worked on a project like this before, and when I saw the card in my hand, I was impressed with how it all turned out.

Warren emailed Yasmine to put together a list of equipment he thought we needed, but I asked her to not follow through with it. Instead, I instructed her to send a reply along the lines of 'thank you, Mr. Archer, for the gracious offer but we're good.' The message reflected me and I knew Warren would press the matter in person.

The vacant room is still a secret project I am keen on supervising myself. I have planned to paint the room an aesthetic peach color so the murals and other inscriptions complement it. I'm thinking of adding ornaments like the ones around my office but different in style.

"Yasmine, please come in," I call through the intercom.

"Yes, boss."

"What's my schedule for the rest of the day?" After scrolling through her iPad she looks up.

"It's free. Though Mr. Archer asked for a private meeting with you. I was thinking of putting it into your afternoon slot."

I won't let him get in the way.

"Not today. I've got work to do." Yasmine doesn't inquire for details.

Grasping my purse I take my car keys and ensure Miles is still safely inside the office walls. As always he's sitting next to Jessica who seems to be working in her notebook.

"Miles." His ears stand up and he's by my feet in a second.

"I'm going out for a while so be good." Giving me a bark he tries to lick my shoes.

"Or do you wanna come with me?" Taking a circle around me he pants and stares at me blankly.

"I don't know if that's a yes or no buddy." He relaxes under my touch as I scratch his head.

"You stay here then. Bye." I kiss his head and take my leave.

The summer sun is shining brightly, scorching heat dawning on the land. The blue sky appears to be clear with a few birds flying around.

The yellow dress I'm wearing clings to me as beads of sweat begins to gather on my skin.

Instead of taking my car, I walk down the street and stroll by various shops, noticing their walls and interior aesthetic. The striped awnings have always mesmerized me and I wanted one for my building, but it would look awful since the structure won't go with it.