𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨

Warren

I'm in love.

Not that I didn't know that already. But this time it feels different. It hits different. And that's all because of one person. Evelyn Rue Melgren.

Fate is a mastermind. The way it works, it has fooled some of the most intelligent and powerful people in the world. You can neither fight it nor avoid it. It keeps knocking at your door like an uninvited guest until you take the hint and pull it open.

I've loved Evelyn for ten years. Each day more than the prior.

Looking back I can't remember a single day when I didn't love her.

Like blood, she's been flowing through me for years, so thoroughly that she is a part of me. Much more than anything could ever be.

"Mr. Archer, what do you think?" Niall Keelan asks me with eyes eager to know my opinion.

My gaze shifts to the projector and I skim over the contents of the screen and reel back to the voices I heard before Evelyn slid into my mind. Like a poison, she's affected every part of me and there's no antidote that can cure me.

"I'll speak my thoughts after another detailed review." Fucking great. Now I'll have to go through the notes by Kenna to realize what the meeting was about.

Niall shoots me a disapproving look and I lean back and watch him with equal distaste. "We need to complete the project. We have a deadline Mr. Archer."

"You will," I say in a calm and collected voice. "Unless you can't wait and want to move to another company."

Rotating my watch I check the time and then glance up at him. I see a snarl too delicate to notice.

"I've heard a lot about your company. Your reputation precedes you." The taunt and compliment swim in the thick air and everyone in the boardroom stares at the two of us.

I don't like people who question me. Either I remove the threat or set them in place. It's usually the latter.

Standing up I unbutton my suit jacket and fix Niall with a warning glare. "You've heard correctly."

I spare a glance at Kenna and she follows me out of the room. I stand in the doorway and turn towards Niall, owner of a famous cement industry, and look him dead in the eye. "I don't tolerate disrespect. Remember that and you'll never know how much of the rumors you've heard are true."

Walking out I go to my office and work till the sun disappears on the horizon. By the time night rolls around my body is tired but my mind isn't. It never is. The machine is always working nonstop.

Kenna strolls in with more files and I mumble curses at seeing a stack of them. Lately, work has been keeping me a lot busier than I want to be.

It's been a couple of days since that fight. Michael has been giving Evelyn the cold shoulder which is causing her great distress, and pissing me off.

I hate to see her worried, sad or depressed. I love when she's fiery and gives me her sassy comments that make my mind go crazy. I don't know whether I want to kiss her so hard that she loses the sense of talking, or fuck her so rough and thoroughly that she'll think twice before teasing me.

As much as I yearn for the second option, it's an area that's colored in red. Once I enter it there would be no coming out of it.

Once isn't enough. I want a lifetime of fucking her till I own her the same way she owns me. Because she has no idea how deep her roots go into my soul and heart.

Opening up my email, I look through the mess of them until I find the one I've been waiting for the past two days.

Getting my car keys I drive to the location.