𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Evelyn

"He did what?" Ivan nearly erupts in a roar.

"Oh my God!" Yasmine joins, completely giddy with excitement as a big smile takes over her face.

Ivan quickly shoots her a murderous glare and then looks at me with the same intensity.

"What did you say?" He asks in a grave tone.

"I agreed. The function is for orphans. I couldn't refuse. You know I love children." For a second I assumed my reply would make Ivan relax in understanding, but he sighs as if a whole planet was now resting on his shoulders. 

"He's manipulating you into spending time with him. So he can win you over and then hurt you later."

Yasmine speaks before I can. "For fuck's sake. Now you sound like an old cranky granny who's had more heartbreaks than my vinyl collection."

"Your vinyl collection consists of Harry Styles and he's had only three albums."

"Three extraordinary pieces of art Ivan. They're perfect. Especially Harry's House."

"Fine, Matilda was good." Ivan finishes and Yasmine slaps his brawny arm.

"Good? You're delusional. It's perfect. You have no taste." Exasperation reeks from her voice.

"Excuse me? I listen to Chase Atlantic, Sleep At Last, Gracie Ab—"

"Here's your dinner ladies and gentleman." The waiter hangs his gaze on Yasmine a little longer as he puts the plate in front of her.

"Thank you," She mutters shyly.

Ivan and I watch the small interaction with growing curiosity. 

"Search the napkins. He must have left you his number," I say.

"That one I approve of. He's cute," Ivan says with a smirk.

"I'll talk to him after dinner."

The three of us dive into our food while sipping wine occasionally as it's still afternoon. Comfortable silence reigns over the table like a blue sky, and I'm relishing in it until Yasmine covers it with a storm.

"So when's this charity function?" She asks whimsically.

"Yes, when is it?" Ivan pipes in too.

"Warren said this weekend."

"I don't think you should go, Eve. I mean you said he's your ex. And they're nothing but trouble." Ivan asserts after nipping some wine.

"But he can be one of those good exes who are anything but trouble." Yasmine gets a weary look from Ivan.

"Trust me, Warren isn't good from any edge or curve."

I silently eat my food as Ivan bickers with Yasmine.

"You don't know him. And neither do I. But so far he hasn't done a single thing to hurt Evelyn." Yasmine persists with certitude.

Ivan grasps his shades from the table and hands them to Yasmine.

"Time to remove those rose-colored glasses and put on these Warren-can't-be-trusted glasses."

I stifle the laughter and stuff my mouth with a large bite.

"I don't get why you hate him. It's like he killed your cat."

"I'd bury Warren alive if he'd come near Chase." Chase is a male British shorthair, whom Ivan adopted from a shelter a year ago. Chase was extremely guarded and reserved at first. But slowly my best friend's charm worked on the cat. However, I believe something bad happened that made Chase less trusting. Even now he only sits on Ivan's lap and no one else's.