𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐧

Evelyn

It's Wednesday today. Two days since Warren strolled into my office—as if he owns it, and coaxed me to sign a contract with him.

No matter how much I infuriated him by making changes, his determination didn't sway even once. He got what he came for.

I wonder if that's what he's aiming for. If he wants to take control of everything and everyone I have in life just so I will listen to him. Then he's got another thing coming.

Since the first evening, he hasn't once attempted to apologize to me for all the crap he put me through and the mess he left my life in. I had expected some kind of redeeming act from him. Even the word 'sorry' will do, but no! His ass is as stubborn as a chief commander.

Warren would never ask me forgiveness because in his eyes he was never wrong. It was me, Evelyn Melgren who ruined him and his life whilst he did nothing wrong.

For two days I've been thinking about how I'll be able to face him and act like nothing's wrong between us. Pretend that I'm okay with him because I'm not.

The 6'3 giant stomped over my heart like it was a piece of glass and fractured it into splinters.

That's why I have decided that I have to keep my distance. For my sanity, I have to stay away from the guy because I've been down that road before. I know how this all plays out and I won't let my heart go through the same pain twice by the same guy.

I can't risk losing myself again. It took me nearly a decade to glue back my broken pieces and start life with a new perspective.

Getting out of bed, I get ready for work. For some odd reason, Miles decides to stay at home. I kiss him multiple times hoping he'll agree, but he stays curled up on the couch. I make a note to come home early today.

Driving myself to the office in my white Toyota Camry, I enter my office with a headstrong mindset.

"So the people Mr. Archer was talking about will come in at ten today," Yasmine informs me.

Warren had rescheduled the meeting and sent an email to Yasmine. In the email, he also asked for my number, but I requested Yasmine to not forward any of my details to him.

The last thing I want is to get a new number just to escape my ex-something.

"Okay, prepare the folders and make sure the projector is working."

"Yes, boss. Is there something else?" I take a seat, and gesture to her to do the same.

"Just two things." Taking out her notepad she clicks her pen.

"I want you to give them the data that is required. Don't hand out anything else. We don't know these people and I'm not taking any risks. Also, make sure there's an annual sales chart present in the documents of the last two years so they can get an idea, though I think Warren already took care of that." I can't help the scowl that grows on my face but Yasmine hides her smile behind a cough.

"That's it. I'll call you as soon as something new pops into my mind."

As the door shuts. I see my phone flashing with Michael's name over the screen. Picking it up, I swipe to answer the call. 

"You don't call until I call." His voice was sharpened like an edge.

"It's not that. I've been busy with work. How's modeling treating you?" I know my younger brother doesn't like cameras, but it gets him millions of dollars.

"You're always busy. And it's fine. I just wrapped up a photoshoot." I can hear the hustle and bustle of New York in the background.

"For which magazine this time?" I tease.