𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

Warren

A knock on the door stirs me enough to flutter my eyes.

"Warren, are you awake?" Evelyn asks from the other side.

"No," I say and she pushes the door and slides inside holding a mug in her hand.

"It's Saturday. We have only two days to have some fun."

"We clearly have different definitions of fun," I say.

"What do you mean?" Casually she sits on my bed and sips her morning drink, while mine rests on the side table.

"For me, fun is lying in bed all day."

The sound of her beautiful laughter wakes up every damn cell in my body and I watch her so I can't miss it.

"C'mon sleepy head."

With a long stretch of my arms, I sit up and take the hot mug. When I look at Evelyn her eyes are wide and staring at my naked chest. As for her cheeks, they are getting pink in the shade as her stare traces every inch of me.

Clearing my throat I drive her attention toward my eyes and study the way the blush deepens.

"So what's your plan for today?" I ask with a smirk.

"You tell me. What's in the town?"

"There's a cancer facility for children that I thought we could visit."

Did I do some research yesterday when I was out? Absolutely.

The color drains from her face.

Fuck. This wasn't why I brought it up.

"We don't have to go." I decrease the distance between us and put my hand over her thigh.

"No. We'll go." My touch jolts her to life and she takes a sip of her coffee.

"Evelyn, look at me," I demand.

Slowly her eyes glide to mine and I feel more at peace because I can read her like a book. I know when she's lying or telling the truth.

"I chose the place because I know children mean a lot to you. And cancer too. I thought you'd like to spend some time with them. It'll be good for them too."

"No, you're right."

"If it's triggering then we don't have to go."

"I'll be fine. You'll be there with me right."

Be still my heart.

"Of course."

That puts her to rest. Taking the mug I sip the coffee and it's perfect. She made it just the way I like it.

Talking about some random details we stay away from our conversation last night. The things she revealed are imprinted on my mind in red. I'll never be able to look past them.

Over the years I missed her, but the desperation wasn't lethal because I knew wherever she was, she was alive and happy. That's all I've ever wanted for her even if that happiness doesn't reside with me. But after what I heard yesterday, I am shaken to my core.

I am scared of ever losing her. My life would lose all its meaning if she isn't in it.

Her fingers smooth my eyebrows and drive my attention toward the owner. Big blue eyes peer up at me in worry. "You're frowning."

I study her face and the wild thoughts coursing in my mind come to a rest. "I'm fine."

Fortunately, Evelyn doesn't push and we get ready to have breakfast somewhere out.