𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

Evelyn

The date is a disaster.

Why? Because I'm thinking about a certain someone. Continuously. Which isn't fair to Noah who's trying to be so charming.

The guy is the literal definition of comfort yet I'm after the hot poetic millionaire who makes my heart race.

Noah picks me up from my office—I don't let people come to my condo to keep my privacy. Only Ivan, Yasmine, and Michael know the address.

Right off the bat, he acts like a duly gentleman. He compliments me, opens the car door for me, and lets me take control of the radio. During our car ride, we share a few intimate glances and some nervous smiles that I promise give me butterflies. Especially when I was convinced that I wouldn't get them with another man.

Of course, the butterflies don't go crazy as they do with Warren, but it's still progress.

Noah picks a deluxe restaurant that sits atop a tall building, giving an excellent view of the city. The concept is an open kitchen that captivates your attention with spices and noises.

We order dinner and natter about things. He tells me about his family and his normal, happy childhood. Noah talking about how great his own childhood was only reminded me of my own problematic, sad one, but I don't tell him that. I don't want to ruin the vibe. So I give him an overview and don't get into details. From there the topic steers to various places and suddenly I'm enjoying myself.

The way he looks at me makes sure I'm eating and keeps the conversation going is great of him. Yet I'm missing a spark.

"Do you like it when the guy kisses you on the first date?"

My stomach clenches into a ball and the feeling makes me so nervous. I have to kiss him.

"I prefer it to be on a second or third date. But with the right guy, I'd like that."

His smile is cute as he hides it behind the glass of wine. "Am I the right guy Evelyn?"

With a laugh, I slowly dab my mouth with the napkin. "I think you are."

"Have you ever dated before? Any ex-boyfriends I should be aware of?"

"No! I've hooked up with guys but that was long ago so you're safe."

"Damn Evelyn. Kissing lips and breaking hearts."

"Well, commitment at the time felt like a lot, so sex was it."

"If you weren't already hot enough. Now you're even more." His brown eyes appear lighter in shade as they watch me. "You know you're perfect. Any guy that'll end up with you will be so fucking lucky."

"Any guy? You don't think it will be you?"

"I already know it won't be me."

My heart stops at his words and I stare at him trying to comprehend what he's saying. "Noah, what are you talking about?"

"C'mon Evelyn. You don't have to lie to me."

I gulp down my water and find it difficult to swallow. "I'm not lying."

"You're lying to yourself. I can see the way you look at me. And I've seen the way you look at Warren. It's different."

"I..." Okay, I don't know how to dodge that kind of question. Like what the fuck? Do eyes tell so much truth?

"It's fine. I have to let you go."

"Noah, it's not li—"

"—like that. But it is. I haven't been in love but I know it when I see it. My sister is in love, and so are my parents. And you're in love too."