16. The Future Has Changed

Start from the beginning

'Did I make a mistake?'

She could have killed Dahyun back then to keep her from speaking. Dahyun, the common maid, would have died, unable to defend herself from Lalisa's sword. No one knew about Lalisa's abilities, so she could not be accused of being a criminal.

However...

She couldn't always have blood on her hands. She vowed to leap into the pit of hell for the sake of her family, but if she took away the lives of ordinary people who had no direct connection to her family's deaths, she was simply a murderer. She knew she would have to spill blood to prevent Namgil's rise to power, but it didn't have to involve the deaths of ordinary people.

So she tried to use money and power instead of murder. But the results were disastrous.

Lalisa's sensitive ears told her several footsteps were getting closer. And with the sound of footsteps, someone being dragged.

"Lady Lalisa! I didn't start the rumor. Nayeon... Nayeon, did the bitch say that? It's all a lie. I'm innocent!"

Dahyun was already crying in the distance before she even arrived in front of Lalisa. But no reply was given to Dahyun by the other servants who were dragging her, nor Lalisa, who was waited with her arms folded. Dahyun wailed loudly again as she cowered in the oppressive atmosphere.

"Help me! I didn't do anything wrong. Please, let me live, My Lady!"

The servants who were pulling Sophie's arms did not let go until they arrived in front of Lalisa. Dahyun sank weakly to the ground and collapsed into tears. Even in the dark Lalisa could see Dahyun's blotched-red face.

"I really didn't say anything, My Lady. Someone set me up. It must be Nayeon. She set me up!"

Lalisa wordlessly listened to Dahyun beg for innocence. Sophie was completely mistaken. Nayeon had not said a word against her even until the end.

Lalisa knew Dahyun was vain and often lazy, but she didn't know it was to this degree. Lalisa regretted not disciplining Dahyun when they returned from the trip. Of course, it wasn't that Lalisa didn't warn Dahyun at all, and she had told her not to indulge in unnecessary curiosity.

'Would it have changed if I had given her a stronger warning?'

In Lalisa's last life, Dahyun was a maid who worked for the Blaises until their demise. After Lalisa fled the country, it was impossible for her to know the maid's fate. Had she turned a blind eye then?

Lalisa said nothing, while Dahyun continued to speak without permission.

"My Lady, I swear to God I didn't spread the rumor. Please trust me only this once. Please help me."

"...I..."

At Lalisa's soft voice, Dahyun stopped crying and listened to her speak, Lalisa slowly continued.

"...I didn't say I would kill you."

"Oh, My Lady!"

"Leave. This is the best I can do for you."

It was no use trying to gather spilled water. She could retaliate harshly against Dahyun if she wanted to, but even if she killed Dahyun now, she couldn't undo the gossip that had spread. However, Lalisa realized once again how difficult it was to act alone due to this incident. She needed strength, and she needed it urgently. There was so little that a count's daughter could do.

"I'm sorry, My Lady. Just one time, please forgive me just one time. It's cold and if you send me away, I'll freeze on the streets."

"I said that this was the best I could do for you. Be grateful that I did not take the gold back. Go find another position. Now that you've broken my trust, I cannot keep you in the household anymore."