Chapter 28

Honami Mochizuki

I looked at Akito. He wants to talk? About what? I haven't really done anything to the guests.

"Sure," I replied.

"Saki told me you were the one who poisoned the food. Is that true?" Akito asked.

"What? Of course not! "  I replied.

I was surprised and shocked that Akito would ask me such a thing.

"What makes you think I'd poison the food?" I asked.

"Well, you probably won't believe it, but Toya got poisoned from the food," he said.

"Toya?! The blue rat?" I asked in surprised.

"Yup, that's him."

"I assure you, I have never put poison in the food. As the lead chef for the  king, I am very loyal to him. I practically prepare most of his meals throughout the day!" I exclaimed.

"..."

"Hmm, you seem rather suspicious of me, do you really think I'd poison a good friend of yours , Akito?"

"It's just, Saki's been lying a lot. She basically just lied about how you weren't the one who poisoned the food," Akito said.

"That's rather strange," I said. "Our princess, Saki, is one of the bravest people in the castle. Seeing her lie at a time like this isn't like her."

"I've already arranged an appointment with Meiko so she could talk it out with Saki," he said.

That's a relief. All this information Akito's given me is quite, uh, breathtaking.

"How's Toya? Is he alright from the poison?" I asked.

"I haven't checked up on him yet. I plan to After this conversation," he replied.

Oh! I must be taking up your time then," I said hurriedly.

"Oh no, it's okay! I just wanted to clarify some questions. It's just Saki's really strange behavior recently."

"Well, this is all the information you'll get from me," I smiled warmly. "After all, I'm just the lead chef here, trying to make the best food imaginable!"

"Thanks for making lunch Honami, I'll see you later," Akito said, and walked out the kitchen.

Well, that was an interesting conversation. I wonder, how did Saki get ahold of poison? I thought it was strictly forbidden in this castle. She must've snuck it in. I knew I had to start preparing dinner soon, so I thought about dessert. I started thinking about what to make.. Aha! Apple pie for dessert! Oh, but we don't have anymore apples. I walked out the kitchen to the garden outside, hoping to find some apples. Passing by the fireplace, something smelled.. different. I knew I shouldn't do it, but I took a peak inside the fireplace. Coal, wood, and.. a costume? It looked like someone tried to burn it! I looked a bit more, seeing some purple and blue hair. Was this a wig? Purple and blue..

"A Rui cosplay burned in the fireplace?" I gasped.