Chapter Thirty-Six: "It Still Hurts."

Start from the beginning

I placed my head in the fridge to avoid any of his further questions. The last thing I want to recall would be that conversation.

“Come on, come on,” Mikey began to chant, tugging at my sleeve. “Tell me, I won’t laugh.”

“Seriously, Mikey,” I groaned, turning around and opening the box of orange juice. “It’s not something you’d find humorous…”

His playful taunts suddenly ceased as he stood up and looked at me with more sincerity in his eyes. “Why? What happened? Maybe I can help,” he suggested.

I shook my head, “nope. Nothing’s gonna make her change her mind.”

“Well, how do you know that? The female mind’s rather confusing, you know,” he commented casually, turning off the coffee machine.

“She…” I sighed heavily, “Mikey, are you seriously -- ?”

“Yes, I am,” he interrupted, “now, are you gonna tell me or what?”

I was silenced for a bit, wondering how the hell would I start. Should I begin with me waiting outside her apartment door? Should I begin when we got to that restaurant? Should I go straight to the point like some journalist? Or should I ask him the question that was bothering me?

Ehh, fuck.

Whatever.

“Mikey...” I began, grabbing his attention that was gradually taken away as he made his coffee, “what do you do when you and your special someone got together and ‘resolved’ (and, yes, I made air quotes during that) your issue but…you still feel this…this…thing…in your heart that just tells you that it still isn’t?”

Mikey leaned closer to me, “well, let me ask you a question. What do you feel right now?”

I exhaled shakily, shrugging my shoulders hopelessly, “it still hurts.”

His expression was unreadable as he said, “well, what did you guys settle on? Like, how did you finish talking?”

“She didn’t exactly tell me that it’s time that both of us should move on but…that was her subliminal message, you know…” my voice went out like a quaver, unsure.

He nodded, “and you decided to go along with it even though it doesn’t feel right?”

I nod my head vigorously; glad that someone could actually understand.

“Before I could give you a real answer, you should answer these questions first,” Mikey nodded like the Zen master he was. “Where did you take Chelsea on your first actual date?”

I raised an eyebrow, “the movies.”

“First kiss?”