Chapter 38: The S-Class Trial

It's that time of the year. The day when most of the members in Fairy Tail ran around picking up jobs like headless chickens. "The S-Class Promotion Trial." said the elemental mage. As Erza walks up to her brother and sits down next to him.

"I'm kinda excited for this year's trial." She said grinning happily. Neos raises a brow "Why?" his older sister suddenly happy because of something wasn't anything new to him, but she is excited for The S-Class Promotion Trial is something new to him.

"Because you'll be joining as one of the obstacles for our guild to fight. This sure took me back, to the day I actually beat you in sword fight." Erza said remembering the day their blade clashed inside that cave. "Oh, so that's why you are excited. Let's see can someone actually become S-Class this year."

Makarov jumped on the railing of the second floor gaining everyone's attention, he looked down scanning the guild before nodding to himself. "As per Fairy Tail's time-honored tradition, I will now announce the entrants for the S-Class Wizard Promotion Trial!" Makarov announced and was met by the cheer of the crowd.

"S-Class Wizard Promotion Trial?!" Lucy questioned in shock.

"Now I'm fired up!" Natsu let out fire around his body in excitement.

"Quiet, everyone!" Erza shouted.

"Our master hasn't finished yet." Gildarts said and the cheers died down.

"This year's trial will take place on Tenrou Island... our guild's sacred ground!" Makarov announced.

""Oh!""

"Your strength! Your hearts! Your spirits! I've spent the last year ascertaining them all. There will be eight participants! Natsu Dragneel!" Makarov announced.

"Yes!" Natsu clenched his fist in excitement.

"Way to go Natsu!" Happy cheered.

"Gray Fullbuster!"

"The time's finally come." Gray said with a grin on his face.

"Juvia Lockser!"

"Huh? Juvia...?" Juvia was surprised by this as she hasn't been a part of the guild for very long.

"Elfman Strauss!"

"Real men should be S-Class!" Elfman grinned.

"Good luck! Elf-niichan!" Lisanna encouraged her brother.

"Cana Alberona!" Makarov announced but Cana did not look happy about it. Cana let out a sigh before leaning her head on Neos's shoulder and resting her head. She has tried the Trial for 5 years already, and each year she keeps failing, this is a hit to her confidence, being the daughter of Fairy Tail's previous Ace. And she can't even become an S-Class Mage now, Neos had returned, her chance of being promoted just got way harder. "Freed Justine!"

"I'll be the one to follow in Laxus' footsteps..." Freed uttered.

"Levy McGarden!"

"At long last!" Levy said with joy in her voice.

""Levy for the win!"" Jet and Droy cheered.

"Mest Gryder!" Makarov announced and the attention was turned to a young man with short almost shaved black hair, with a slight outlined window's peak, and complete with mildly long sideburns. His eyes are bright emerald turquoise, and thin eyebrows, on the left side of his face he has three scars. His clothing consisted of a pinstriped jacket with a high open collar, the jacket had red and orange stripes, he wore simple black pants and white shoes.

"Oh, Mest!"

"Man, he was so close last year!" Members of the guild cheered.

"I didn't make it this year either..." Alzack sulked while Bisca comforted him.