the married life

chapter thirty-nine ~ the married life

what is and what never should be pt. 2

Dean found himself standing at his father's grave, his hands pushed deep into his pockets as the night grew cold. The sky crackled above him as the clouds started rolling in. "All of them," Dean started talking to John's tombstone below him. "Everyone that you saved, everyone Sammy, Haven, and I saved, they're all dead. And there's this woman that's haunting me. I don't why. I don't know what the connection is- not yet anyway. It's like my old life is coming after me or something, like it doesn't want me to be happy. Of course, I'd know what you'd say. Well, not the you that played softball, but you'd say, 'go hunt the djinn. It put you here, it can put you back. Your happiness or all those people's lives- no contest.' Right?"

"But why? Why is it my job to save these people? Why do I have to be some kind of hero? What, Mom's not supposed to live her life? Sammy's not supposed to get married? Haven and I can never have a family? Why do we have to sacrifice everything, Dad? It's-" Tears were falling down Dean's cheek as he stared at John's grave, an American flag blowing lightly in the night. "Yeah," Dean breathed before running a hand over his cheeks and walking out of the graveyard.

~

The impala's engine was heard faintly pulling up along with a dog barking as Sam laid asleep in bed beside Jessica. When the front door slammed shut, Sam's eyes shot open. He quickly grabbed a baseball bat and quietly descended the stairs to the living room.

He pressed him back up to the wall as the noises the intruder were making got louder. Sam swallowed and gripped the bat tighter before rushing into the room and swinging. The figure quickly spun, grabbing the bat and putting Sam on his back.

"That was so easy I'm embarrassed for you," Dean told his little brother from where he had him pinned down.

"Dean?" Sam gasped out before his brother pushed off of him. "What the hell are you doing here?"

The Winchester helped Sam up, "I was looking for a beer."

Sam looked behind him, "In the china cabinet?" He went to flick on the light and saw Dean with a box of silver utensils out. "That's Mom's silver."

"Sam," Dean warned

"What, you broke into the house to steal Mom's silver?" Sam accused.

Dean raised his hands in surrender, "It's not what it looks like, ok? I didn't have a choice."

Sam stalked back towards Dean, "Oh, really? Why? What's so damn important that you had to steal from your own mother?"

Dean sighed, "You want the truth?"