dean the believer

chapter twenty-five ~ dean the believer

houses of the holy pt. 2

"You saw it, didn't you?" Dean asked his now conscious brother as the hunters walked into a different room of the church, Sam in an enlightened daze.

Dean shut the door behind him as Sam smiled, "Yeah, yeah. Guys, I saw an angel."

The oldest Winchester scoffed, "You-" He reached in his coat pocket and removed a flask, taking a swig and offering it to his brother.

Sam took a seat on one of the benches before rejecting the flask, "I don't want a drink."

"I do," Haven took the flask and took a long sip before turning to Sam. "What makes you think you saw an angel?"

"Just- it appeared before me and I just, this feeling washed over me, you know? Like peace, like grace," Sam tried explaining with a small smile.

Dean let out a huff of a laugh, "Ok, ecstasy boy, maybe we'll get you some glow sticks and a nice Dr. Seuss hat, huh?"

Sam looked to his older brother, "Dean, I'm serious. It spoke to me, it knew who I was."

"It's just a spirit, Sam, ok?" Dean revealed as he moved to take a seat on the opposite bench. "And it's not the first one to be able to read people's minds. Ok, let me guess, you were personally chosen to smite some sinner? You just got to wait for some divine signal, is that it?"

"Yeah, actually," Sam responded.

"Wonderful," Sarcasm filled the witch's voice. "And I don't suppose you asked what exactly this 'bad man' did, hmm?"

The young Winchester's focus shifted to the girl, "Actually I did, Haven, and the angel told me. He hasn't done anything, yet. But he will."

Dean pushed out of his seat and shook his head, "Oh, this is- I don't believe this."

"Guys, the angel hasn't been wrong yet. Someone's gonna do something awful and I can stop it!" Sam argued.

"You know, you're supposed to be bad too, Sam. Haven too. Maybe I should just stop both of you right now," Dean countered.

Sam started to raise his voice, "You know what, I don't understand. Why can't either of you even consider the possibility?"

Dean scoffed, "What? That this is an angel?"

"Yes! Maybe we're hunting an angel here and we should stop!" Sam tried to reason. "Maybe this is God's will."