nightshifter

chapter twenty-two ~ nightshifter

milwaukee, wisconsin

"Helena was our head buyer." A man with slick back hair in a suit approached Sam and Haven as they waited by one of the many sets of glass jewelry cases. The man held a box in his hands as he rounded the corner to stand in front of the duo, "She was family, you know? She said it herself, every year at the Christmas party, we were the only family she had."

"So there was never any signs she would do something like this?" Sam questioned him.

He shook his head, confusion lacing his features, "No, I still can't believe it, even now. That night, Helena came back to the store after closing, cleaned out all the display cases and the safe. Edgar, our night watchman, he caught her in the act. He didn't know what to do, he's known her for years. He called me from home."

Haven had her hands deep in her black wool trench coat that laid over a white undershirt with black trousers, her FBI attire when she didn't want to wear a pantsuit, "And that's when she took his gun?"

"She shot him in the face," The manager confirmed. "I-I heard him die over the phone."

Sam's hair was slicked back for his attire, "Any idea what her motive could've been?"

The man shook his head in confusion, "What motive? It makes no sense, why steal all those diamonds? All that jewelry then what? Just dump it somewhere? Just hide it then go home?"

"So you never saw the security camera footage yourself then?" Sam asked as the eldest Winchester came up behind his girlfriend.

"Police- they took all the tapes first thing," He answered.

Dean hummed and held up a paper to the duo of hunters, "Of course they did."

~

The rain came down in a slow downfall, coating the impala as Dean pulled up to a small home on a long street. Sam checked the address before confirming it on the paper, "This is it."

Dean shut the impala's engine off and sighed, "Frickin' cops."

Haven slid her body across the back seat and opened the car door, the cold from the previous down fall, sweeping over her. "They're just doing their job."

"No, they're doing our job. Only, they don't know it, so they suck at it," Dean corrected as he exited the driver's seat beside Haven. The younger Winchester slid out of the passenger seat and stood on the sidewalk, him and Haven collectively rolling their eyes at the oldest hunter. "Talk to me about this bank."