hunted

chapter nineteen ~ hunted

the clearing by the lake

Realization hit Haven like a bus, if Dean can't do it, it has to be you. John's last words to her and he made her promise as well, but to what? She didn't know, but she had a feeling she was about to find out.

"Right before Dad died, he told me something. Something about you," Dean confessed.

Sam's face looked void of any emotions, "What? Dean, what did he tell you?"

Dean swallowed thickly, "He said he wanted me to watch out for you, take care of you."

"He's told you that a million times," Sam said, confused.

"This time was different," Dean told Sam. "He said that I had to save you. He just said that I had to save you and that nothing else mattered, but if I couldn't, I'd have-"

"You what, Dean?" Sam started getting frustrated.

Dean shook his head, "That I'd have to kill you. He said I might have to kill you, Sammy."

Haven dropped the beer bottle in her hand, the glass shattering as it touched the Earth below their feet. "No, no no," Haven ran a hand over her face.

"Emerson?" Dean asked, worriedly.

"He told me, he made me promise too. He told me if you couldn't do it, I had too," Haven told the boys. "He didn't say what I had to do, only that I had to promise and not to tell you two."

"Kill me?" Sam asked before angrily looking between the couple. "What hell is that supposed to mean? You guys are both supposed to kill me? I mean, he must've had some kind of reason for saying it. Did he know the demons plans for me? Am I supposed to go dark side or something! What else did he say to you two?"

Haven felt tears in her eyes at Sam's outburst, "He didn't say anything else."

Dean nodded, "Nothing, that's it. I swear."

"How could you two not have told me this!" Sam snapped at them.

"Because he made us promise-"

Dean cut her off, "It was Dad and he begged us not too."

Sam yelled at them, "WHO CARES! Take some responsibility for yourselves, you two had no right to keep this from me."

"No! I didn't, but he never exactly told me what I was supposed to do, Sam!" Haven yelled at him. "Hell, you think we wanted this? I didn't even know what I had agreed too at the time!"