everybody loves a clown

chapter three ~ everybody loves a clown

Bobby's place

"Hey," Haven's voice rang through the scrap yard as she approached Dean, who laid under the impala, rebuilding it from the crash.

Dean pushed out from under the car, his shirt covered in sweat and grease marks, "Hey, what are you doing out here?"

Haven held out a water, "Brought you water, you've been out here all day and haven't eaten anything today. So, water, drink it."

"Bobby put you up to this?" Dean asked before accepting the bottle and taking a big gulp of it.

"Maybe," She moved towards a table in the shade and started fiddling with the tools.

Dean noticed after following the girl, "What?"

She looked at him confused, "What do you mean 'what'?"

"You fiddle with things when you want to say something or when you're thinking about something important. So, say it," Dean said.

"It's nothing, don't worry about it," Haven brushed it off since she wasn't ready for that conversation yet. She wasn't ready to tell him that she'd be leaving the brothers, the idea plaguing her mind since they got to Bobby's.

Dean leaned on the table, "You sure?"

The witch nodded and stopped messing with the tools, "Yeah, I'm sure." Haven looked beside her to Dean and noticed he was already looking at her. They locked eyes for awhile not moving, both scared of what would happen next between them. Haven finally dropped his gaze, "What are we doing?"

"I don't know," Dean confessed. "But, Hav, about what I said-"

"You should get back to work on the car," Haven said, quickly changing the subject as the walls around her heart went up.

Dean cleared his throat and backed away a step, his walls coming up as well, "Yeah, I should. Thanks for the water."

"Of course," Haven said, crossing her arms. Dean went back to the car and rolled back under the frame, Haven turning around to lean on the table, releasing a breath she had been holding in.

The witch flicked on the radio beside her to the classical rock channel, "You need any help?" Haven offered to Dean.

"Nope, I'm good," He said harshly.

Sam's footsteps were heard against the gravel as he approached the duo. "How's the car coming along?" Sam asked his brother.

"Slow," Dean drawled out.