playthings

chapter twenty ~ playthings

peoria, illinois

Sam sat working on his computer and calling Ellen, the walls filled with maps, pictures of Ava and possible demon sightings. Dean and Haven walked into the motel room with coffee and food in hand, placing it on the table.

"What did she have to say?" Haven asked, referring to the call with Ellen as the younger Winchester hung up.

"She's got nothing," Sam said with a sigh before turning to his computer. "Me, I've been searching every database I can think of. Federal, state, and local. No one's heard anything about Ava, she's just into thin air, you know? What about you two?"

Dean grabbed Sam's coffee and handed it to him, "Same as before, sorry, man."

Haven came up in between the boys and started looking over Sam's notes, "I can't find her either, I think something or someone is blocking me out from knowing where she is."

"Ellen did have one thing," Sam tried to switch topics, unable to hear how Ava is still no where to be found. "A hotel in Cornwall, Connecticut. Two freak accidents in the last three weeks."

"Yeah? What does that have to do with Ava?" Dean asked before moving to put his phone on the nightstand and take off his brown leather jacket.

Sam shrugged, "I mean, it's a job. A lady drowns in the bathtub then a few days ago a guy falls down the stairs, head turns a complete 180. Which isn't exactly normal. Look, I don't know, it might be nothing, but I told Ellen we'd think about checking it out."

Haven grabbed her coffee and took a sip, "I think we should."

Dean furrowed his brows at the two, "Huh?"

"You sound surprised," Sam pointed out.

"Yeah, it's just that, you know- not the 'Sam Winchester' or 'Haven Emerson' way is it?" Dean asked as he took a seat on the bed.

Sam shifted in his seat as Haven threw him a look, "What way is that?"

Dean looked down before looking back at the two, "Just figured after Ava and Rebecca there would be, uh you know, more angst and droopy music and staring out the rainy windows and-" Dean noticed the looks on their faces, "Yeah, I'll shut up now."

"Look, I'm the one who told her to go back home," Sam got up from the chair and went to go sit on his bed. "Now, her fiancé is dead and some demon is taking her off to god knows where, you know? We've been looking for a month now and we've got nothing."