Amelia Shepherd [One last time] ✓

Note: Reference to drugs and addiction!

Your throat feels sore and your voice scratchy from the constant screaming, tears streaming down your face as you struggle to form words to counter Amelia's shouts. You can feel the hostility radiating off of her from the other side of the room, and you're tired. You wince as she slams and bangs the draws and the doors and the cupboards, too defeated to do anything about it; it was dark now and your mind drifted off to your poor neighbours, hours and hours of endless screaming and fighting. 

Your heart panged in your chest as you watched the girl you fell in love with look at you with rage, wild blue eyes not so bright anymore. You hadn't seen her in a few weeks and now she was back; rummaging for cash and obviously using again. You had caught her and now she was angry and you were begging, begging for her not to leave again, but she wouldn't listen. She didn't want your help, she didn't need your pitiful looks, and she most definitely did not want to be saved. 

The last draw rattled shut and the two of you fell in a silence. Her jaw was clenched and her chest heaved with her angry breathing and your throat stung as you swallowed your fight. You let out a deep breath and shut your eyes, soothing them from the bright kitchen light. She was going to leave with or without a fight, and you were too tired. Your eyes opened up to see her watching intently for your next move.

"Amelia," you began and you saw her shake her head and move away, already beginning to defend herself. "No, no, just listen to me!" You begged with your sore voice. "I just- please, have a shower or a bath and grab some clean clothes before you leave," you sighed and rested your head against the door frame. 

You heard her scoff and you shook your head, "Let me help, just one last time, and I won't bother you ever again," you sighed, "I promise." You watched her eyes dart back and forth with your hazy vision before she stormed passed you and into the bathroom with a slam. You slid down the wall and listened for the tap to start running before letting your tears fall freely. 

It had been ten minutes since the tap had stopped running and you had long since calmed down, but you picked at your lip nervously; you couldn't hear anything from the bathroom. No clanging, no splash of water, nothing. Carefully, you stood from your tiled kitchen floor and tiptoed your way to the bathroom door. You listened intently for any noise before knocking your knuckles against the door lightly.

"Amelia?" You called out earning you no reply and you felt your heart pitter against your ribs. "Amelia, I'm coming in," you warned her before pushing open the door. Warm steam blew in your face and your eyes searched for her through the misty air. You found her standing idly, opposite the full bath, staring blankly  and you quickly moved to open the window. You moved to stand opposite her and her blue eyes moved to stare at your face, wide with furrowed brows and your heart twinged with pain. She didn't deserve this; she had already gone through too much to deserve this.

"Would you like some help?" You asked as you searched her eyes. "You can just move your head, yes or no?" She didn't move and you nodded your head before checking the temperature of the water. You dried your hand on a rag as you walked back to her.

"I'm going to help you now, okay?" You told her and lifted the bottom of her shirt up her torso and she lifted her arms up and the shirt came up over her head before pooling on the floor. Your eyes searched hers again as you unbuttoned her jeans and you saw her throat bob as she nodded her head, so lightly you could have missed it. You unzipped them and crouched before shimmying them down her legs and helping her step out of them. You stood back up and quickly unclipped her bra and dropped it to the floor. You guided her to the bath and held her hand as she stepped into it, one leg after the other, before she sat down in the hot water.

You pushed up your sleeves and dunked a rag into the water before running it over her skin: her arms, her back, her neck, her face. You carefully washed her face, smoothing the cloth over her features, her lashes resting against her cheek and you watched her, until her dark lashes lifted to reveal the brilliant blue of her eyes and you moved away to pump soap into your hands. You held a hand out to her and lifted her to stand. You poured some of the soap from your hand into her own before rubbing it into her back, sudsing her skin with foamy bubbles, and then sat her back down and washed her skin clean.

You grabbed a jug from the side and filled it with the bath water and lightly pushed her head back slightly before resting your hand on her forehead before running the water through her dark hair. You lathered your hand with shampoo and massaged it into her scalp and poured water through her hair until it ran clean and then did the same with conditioner. Without your knowledge, silent tears streamed down Amelia's face as you delicately combed through her knotty hair with a brush. 

You poured water over her hair once again, protecting her face with your hand on her forehead, and then left to grab a towel. Amelia hugged her knees to her chest as she watched the door and shivered as she felt a gust of wind come through the open window, the water was only lukewarm by now and she was starting to feel the cold prickle of the late night air. When you came back, you wrung her washed hair and helped her out of the tub before wrapping her with the warm, fluffy towel.

"There's clean clothes on our- my bed and you know where the hairdryer is, if you need it," you mumbled and nodded your head before leaving to tidy the kitchen from your screaming match. 

After a few minutes, you heard the steady whir of the hairdryer turn on and then off before you watched Amelia leave through the front door. Most likely to never be seen by you again.

17/02/23 {Words: 1105}