A Name for an Angel

it's been a little bit since i've been on wattpad. i'm much more active on ao3 now, my account is -duchesssappho, all of these oneshots are on there & i have two other fics that i try to update regularly so go check that out if you so please either way hi here's the biannual anidala navy au oneshot 

-- 

Don't get Anakin wrong. He hated sweat and grime and the ocean as much as any sane person would after six months out at sea. Six months of getting scolded, six months of being handed privy duty by his asshole COs. Yet surprisingly, as they docked in San Diego, that wasn't why he was so excited to get off the ship.

No, he was excited because this was where he'd first seen Angel. Granted, it had been six months, and people tended to come and go in that time, but he had a feeling.

If being in the Navy had taught him one thing, it had taught him to always trust his feelings.

Even if he got privy duty because of them.

That wasn't his problem, though. That was his CO's problem, and by CO he meant Obi-Wan.

Another reason he was excited to get off the ship.

Rex, of course, being Rex, had decided to accompany him into town. Apparently he needed a bodyguard so he didn't 'make any reckless decisions' and 'get into stupid fights' over said reckless decisions.

Anakin let it slide, only because he enjoyed Rex's company. Also because he could tell Rex to keep an eye out for Angel, and he was a good friend so he wouldn't give him sass. Not verbally, anyways. That eye roll said it all.

Regardless, though, he let it slide, because Rex and Obi-Wan and all of his other godless shipmates were not currently on his mind. There was one person on his mind, and that was Angel.

Who knew. Maybe this time, he'd actually find out her name. Maybe even her address, if he got lucky. They could send each other letters, letters that he could open every mail day and glue to the inside of his journal to re-read at night before he went to sleep. He could find out about her and her life. He could ask if she found herself in San Diego as often as he did, if they could meet again sometime. And if she did want to meet again, well–

"That her?" Rex said, and Anakin's heart skipped a beat.

The girl Rex was referring to had stunning brown hair, pulled back in a bun of twisted braids. Her eyes were deep hickory brown and shimmered, even from afar. Even though she didn't have bangs, and she didn't look quite as serene as before, she was radiant. Like an angel.

"Good eye, Rexter," Anakin grinned and patted his bestest friend in the entire world on the shoulder. "Now, if Obi-Wan or Ahsoka come after me, tell them I'm busy."

Anakin took off just as Rex said, "Are you sure? It looks like she's on the phone-"

"Hi!" He called out, before he could stop himself. And he wasn't going to stop himself, because her eyes were immediately on him, and if he'd thought they were beautiful before, he was absolutely speechless now. Gobsmacked, even.

"Uh- uh, Bail, I'll call you back. Tell Breha I said hi. And- would you mind texting Sabe for me? Thanks," She said quickly into her phone, and then hung up. "Hi."

She was saying hi. To him. His heart fluttered almost as much as it had when he'd first met her and she'd smiled and thanked him. Maybe it was a little bit deranged, but he thought that maybe, that look was reserved for him.

"I didn't catch your name." Anakin may or may not have gasped when he heard her speak again. He hadn't realized he was staring, but the angelic sound of her voice wasn't making him look away. No, it only made him focus on how she was staring, too.

"Uh- Anakin. Anakin Skywalker. And–" He coughed, finally able to recite the line he'd been preparing for months, "You're an angel, right?"

She laughed. It was absolutely heavenly. "You're funny," Her eyes twinkled. If he got to hear that laugh again, he'd start his own stand-up show. "Not exactly. My name is Padmé Amidala."

Padmé. Padmé. Now he could finally put a name to her face. A name for an angel.

"Padmé," Anakin said breathily, half thinking aloud and half not thinking at all. Padmé met her name with an imploring look. He came back to himself. This was finally his chance. "Well, um, I was just going to get breakfast- uh- here." He pointed to the doorway of the cafe they both just so happened to be standing in front of, "What would you say to sharing it with me?"

"I'd love to," Padmé said, smiling with humor and some ethereal, otherworldly sort of beauty that made everything around them look somehow more beautiful and disappointing in comparison. And she didn't even seem to care that it was roughly noon. She didn't even seem to care she was sharing a meal with him. Score.

Ignoring Rex standing forlornly where he'd left him, he opened the door for Padmé and followed her into the queue.

--

"Is your friend out there okay?" Padmé asked lightheartedly, her face bathed in light from the sun filtering through the window.

Since getting in line with her, Anakin had learned she liked vanilla lattes with a little bit of extra syrup and preferred five-blossom bread over anything. Nothing could compare to her personal recipe, though, which he was dying to try. She was a poli sci major who was in San Diego for school, and would be for some time, but she was originally from some beautiful place buried in the woods halfway across the country. She worked two jobs – one an unpaid job as the head of a community club, the other as an intern for freaking governor Palpatine.

They'd only met twice, but she was on his mind so much, it might as well have been an entire lifetime. Talking to her, stressing about politics with her, just being with her.

Which was to say he'd completely forgotten about any friends he had. With half a puff cake shoved in his mouth, he asked, "Huh?"

His brain registered it suddenly. Oh, shit. Rex.

He turned to see the man standing in the window, frowning at him. As soon as Anakin made eye contact with him, he flipped the bird, which looked ultra-dignified in his sailor uniform.

Anakin shrugged and went back to watching Padmé. "Eh. He'll get over it. What were you saying?"

What she was saying was actually about cleaning up the ocean and the tar on the beaches. He couldn't have cared less for the ocean and the beaches. As far as he was concerned, the ocean was hell, but hearing her talk about it made it seem like paradise.