Rumors Only Grow

Here, have... whatever Codywan shit this is :))

I might add to this in the future, I was just having a really hard time finishing it and decided that maybe it's fine just like this 

And just a side note: ignore my Fives and Echo bias please (also ignore how Obi-Wan isn't even in this) 

--

"So," Fives leaned over the table and wiggled his eyebrows, "you and General Kenobi, aye?"

Cody rolled his eyes and kept picking at the meal pack he'd made for himself before his brothers had swarmed him. He couldn't eat it, though, as appetizing as it was. The men around him - mostly belonging to the 501st, although a few of his own men were brave enough to pester him - cackled and he shook his head at their childish behavior.

Where was Rex when you actually needed him? 

Echo laughed and shoved his batchmate. "Fives, can't you see he doesn't want to talk about it?"

"Come on, sir, tell us! We won't get you in any trouble," Jessie called out from the end of the table, but Cody didn't even acknowledge him. Why did they have to be so loud? It was none of their business, and it was nobody else in the mess hall's business, either. 

He stared down at his food and tried to drown out his brothers laughing and whooping. 

Well, at least he had some privacy in his own head. 

The General had said to come by "later", but how much later did he mean? An hour? A few hours? Cody groaned and let his head drop. It didn't really matter, did it? He was sure Obi-Wan wouldn't mind if he randomly showed up outside his quarters, and besides, he had to get away from whatever mess had been following him around the last few days. 

He stood and picked up his tray, his helmet tucked under his arm. Ignoring Fives' whining and Echo's laughter, he set his tray down at the counter and walked out of the mess hall. He really, really hoped that they would would take a hint and leave him alone. But of course, as he walked out into the hallway, Fives and Echo ran after him. Fortunately, nobody else followed, but Fives and Echo were annoying enough by themselves. 

He slid his helmet on as they approached and briefly contemplated booking it to Obi-Wan's quarters. He really didn't feel like collecting yet another headache today. However, he assumed it was already too late for that.

"Don't be like that, sir, we just want to know," Echo said, walking on his left. Cody ignored him. I will be however I want, thank you very much.

"Yeah, we won't tell anyone," Fives pleaded from his other side, clinging onto Cody's arm. The Commander kept facing forward, though, not even sparing his brothers a glance. 

"You seem to forget that I could un-ARC you both right now," He warned. Fives shivered at the seriousness of the threat and backed off. "And besides, why would you even want to know? Did General Skywalker send you? Are you spies?" 

As they rounded a corner, Echo worded his response carefully. "Well, it's not that we want to know, sir, we... already do." 

Cody stopped. 

What. 

He turned around to face them, his face hot under his buy'ce. "How? Did Rex tell you?" He demanded, not realizing that he'd walked right into a trap. Or more, talked himself right into a trap. And then Fives started laughing uncontrollably and had to steady himself against the wall. 

"So it's true!" He yelled, loud enough for the passing clones to give them a weird look.

Realization hit Cody and his thoughts picked up again. He struggled to control his breathing. No. This can't be happening. "I don't see why this is so funny to you," He mumbled at Fives and turned away. He stared down at his feet as he walked down the hall, his thoughts racing. How had they found out? How could I be so stupid?

A phrase he'd heard somewhere rang in his ears: 'Rumors only grow.'

"Sir! Wait!" Echo called out for Cody, but he was already too far away to hear. Damn, he walks fast. 

Echo sighed and looked down at Fives, who was still wheezing, just... on the floor now. "There is something seriously, very wrong with you," He muttered to his friend. 

--

If you're wondering: yes, Fives is... I don't know what Fives is someone please tell me 

buy'ce - helmet/bucket