Kitchen Duty

i'd like to say that it has officially been a year since i first published this oneshot book (actually, as of posting this, a year and 16 days) and wow, it's been a wild ride since then. i can't even fully process it, honestly. i haven't even finished pt. 2 of landing on mandalore. as much as i may have grown (in my writing and within myself) in the past year, i don't think i'm ever going to get around to finishing that.

i'd like to thank ashfromyourfire- for being such a good friend this entire time, for always being there for me, and for inspiring me with your impeccable oneshots and ideas. i truly do not know what possessed the force to bring you into my life but i'm so grateful it did :)

to anyone who's reading right now, thank you so much for being here! may the force be with you

now, enjoy another fine addition to the anidala us navy au

--

If anyone knew what a hot summer day looked like, it was Anakin. And he hated them with a passion.

The heat, the sweat, the exhaustion. It wasn't too bad on the ship, with the ocean mist and whatnot, but there was no shade from the sun. It was humid. By late afternoon, everyone would be all sweaty, and it was just horrid.

However, Anakin would take any hot day over kitchen duty. Especially on a day like today.

The Admiral, of all the officers in the entire fleet, was stopping by for a visit.

Kitchen duty wasn't that horrible when he just had to serve Obi-Wan. Then, he could get away with grumbling and maybe even purposefully do something unwise, such as bring the wrong drink or blatantly disrespect Obi-Wan by mocking him and his beard. Obi-Wan would just give him a cold glare or, if it were anyone else, laugh it off. Maybe not the mocking part, though. Only Anakin was dumb enough to do that.

The Admiral, though...

Admiral Yularen hated Anakin. And the entire crew, and probably the ship itself. But above all, Anakin.

And Anakin had somehow landed himself the misfortune of kitchen duty today.

What joy.

Anakin, as he left the kitchen with Admiral Yularen's delicious meal, was reciting his last words to himself.

Ahsoka, when I pass on, I hope this exact thing happens to you as your reward for laughing at me. My only regret will be that I'm not there to laugh at you.

He turned the hallway that led straight to the Captain's dining quarters, leaving all sanctity behind.

Rex, I'm haunting you forever. This isn't funny.

The door to the dining room, that simple, foreboding door at the end of the hall, grew nearer, nearer, and nearer.

Obi-Wan, I hope someone insults your beard. You did this to me. I'm never forgiving you.

He made his final approach.

Angel, wish me luck.

Anakin pushed open the door and was met by the wall of distaste that always accompanied the Admiral.

He took in the sight before him. It would be the last thing he ever saw. There was Admiral Yularen, at the far end of the table. Obi-Wan sat stiffly beside him, quaintly nursing a cup of tea. The room had an overwhelming feeling of dead fish and a severe lack of love.

It took Anakin a moment to realize that Admiral Yularen was glaring at him, impatiently tapping the table.

"Skywalker," He uttered between gritted teeth.

Anakin swallowed his fear, asked the divine spirit above for mercy, and stepped into the room. "Yes, sir."

He walked into the room and made his way around the table, constantly aware of the eyes on him. While Obi-Wan was keeping his gaze focused on the table, Admiral Yularen was following him like a vulture.

Well, this isn't going too bad, Anakin prided himself. I haven't face-planted or given him any other reason to yell at me yet. Not like last time, when I accidentally launched a fork at him. Actually, no, last time was when I snickered at his hairline. Oh, yeah, he's still pissed about that.

Anakin stopped beside Admiral Yularen's chair. He made to set the soup bowl down on the table. "Here you are, s-"

Just then, at the perfect, most opportune moment, the ship lurched. The soup bowl flew out of Anakin's hands, and-

Everything slowed. Anakin's life flashed before his eyes. He cried out, "No!", but it was too late.

Obi-Wan sighed.

The bowl miraculously landed on Admiral Yularen's head. However, rather than impressed, the Admiral was seething and drenched in chicken soup. His anger seeped into the atmosphere of the room like a tidal wave. Anakin, in fact, was worried he was so angry his brain shut down.

It hadn't, though. He ground his teeth and yelled, "Skywalker!"

All Anakin could really say to that was "Oh, shit."