Fate and Lull

codywan angst that i wrote at 2am while listening to 'i bet on losing dogs' by mitski

tw/cw: lots of talk of death and injury and cody has some major self-esteem issues, warning u now

--

Cody pressed his ear to Obi-Wan's chest, listening to the rhythmic beating of his heart, the strained rise and fall of his breath.

It was odd how someone he was supposed to be distant from could feel so familiar. According to every handbook Cody had ever read, this was beyond unprofessional. That fact had been known to him from the start: A Jedi General and their Commander are just that. A General and a Commander.

It didn't seem to bother Obi-Wan, though, as he traced the curve of Cody's spine. It didn't bother Cody, either. After all, right now, they were just Cody and Obi-Wan.

Both severely injured.

And shirtless.

Pantless, too, wearing undergarments and bandages and not much else. The only sensation Cody could handle on his skin was Obi-Wan's warmth, and assumedly likewise was true for Obi-Wan.

Cody couldn't feel his wounds through all the pain meds and bandages, not really. He hardly even remembered being caught in the explosion earlier today. Had that been today? For all he was aware, he'd been laying here with Obi-Wan forever. It was comfortable, at least.

He knew his left arm had been burned. Same was true for his left leg, except that one felt more raw. He may not have remembered the explosion, but he vividly remembered the shrapnel being ripped from his skin in the medbay. A persistent ache had stuck with him. His armor usually did more to protect him. However, with all the troopers who'd died in that explosion, he'd gotten lucky.

Obi-Wan, on the other hand, didn't wear any armor. Consequently, his left arm, leg, and much of his torso below his ribcage was wrapped. When they were finally off of bed rest, Cody would try his best to pester him into putting his armor back on. Who knew if he could survive that sort of injury again?

Who knew if Cody would get to survive again?

A tiny voice in his mind wondered who'd replace him as Commander. He couldn't control that like he could control his General's armor-wearing habits, though. So there was no use in dwelling on it, right?

Right.

The whole thing between them had been going on for over two years now – Since shortly after the war started, at least, and who could say how long ago that was. Both of them were well aware of the risks. Those risks were blaringly obvious every day, and they managed. Hell, they managed with flying colors. The 212th ran smoother than any other battalion, and he and his General were at the head, bearing the weight together.

The weight of the war. Of the fact that it was just a matter of time. They carried it together, and they always would. Right now, though, it just seemed so much heavier.

Maybe it was the cocktail of pain meds that had been fed to him talking, but nonetheless he frowned into Obi-Wan's skin.

The risks were practically inevitable, weren't they?

Cody felt Obi-Wan's fingertips leave his back and drift up to his face. He closed his eyes as the touch brushed his jawline.

"What's wrong, my dear?" Obi-Wan's voice was soft, hoarse.

"I'm... worried about you," Cody admitted quietly, "How are you feeling?"

Obi-Wan chuckled, and Cody could practically hear the sound creaking in his ribcage. "Not the best, but having you here with me certainly makes me feel better."

Cody would have thought it was the opposite, having a bandaged arm thrown over his already injured stomach and a heavy leg resting on his hip. The General was already in enough pain as it was. He didn't need Cody's, too.

Obi-Wan shifted, turning on his side to face him. With his injured arm, he cradled Cody's chin against his chest. The touch was like the sting of bacta on a burn, the shock of the air after hours of being submerged in the stuff, and he tilted into it.

Obi-Wan dipped his head and pressed a soft kiss to Cody's lips. Kriff, did Cody need that right now; He returned it fully, wrapping his arm around Obi-Wan, no matter how stiff the bandages were.

If the risks were inevitable, at least Cody had someone to share them with. Maybe that would make it all worth it when the risks caught up to them. He certainly couldn't stay lucky, could he?