Sincerity

what can i say i love writing young Obitine bickering 

also i'm out of ideas for chapter titles :')

this one's somewhat based off of The Way I Spoke by beabadoobee, I'll definitely write more based off of that song cus it's just so cUTE 

--

"Ugh."

Satine smacked her head against the coffee table as she lost Connect 4 for the twelfth time in a row. Obi-Wan, leaning his head against his hand, gazed at her.

"Try harder," He said, boredom and pity lacing the tone of the words. Satine simply glared up at him and slid the tray open so that all the pieces (including his 5-in-a-row that she somehow hadn't seen) would fall out of the board.

With an exaggerated sigh, she laid back on the carpet and stared up at the ceiling with her arms sprawled over her head. This trip was meant to be fun, wasn't it? She hardly thought it would kill her. Not in this way, at least.

Obi-Wan stepped around the coffee table and laid on the floor next to her. She looked away from him, not wanting to make eye contact when she felt so stupid for losing to him again, but he just kept on staring at her. Finally, she couldn't stand it, and looked back over at him.

"What?"

He raised his hands in surrender and turned away from her. Satine sighed again and looked back up at the ceiling.

"There's nothing to dooo!" She whined.

"We can always play Sorry-"

"No. I'm not losing to you again."

From across the room, she heard Qui-Gon groan and the newspaper he was reading crumple. He looked over the top of his reading glasses at the two distraught teens.

"I have an idea," he offered, and they both gave him their undivided attention, "Why don't you two walk down to the convenience store and get a few things there? Since there's not a movie in here we haven't watched or a game Satine hasn't lost and doesn't want to play anymore, it might be a good idea to get out of the cabin for a bit."

"It's 11 at night," Satine said, "Is it really a good idea for us to be walking along the road at 11pm?"

Obi-Wan sat up. "What are we even going to get there? A lifetime supply of Takis and fruit-flavored gum?"

Qui-Gon smiled and lifted his newspaper back up to eye-level. "If that's what your little heart desires, then yes. Now, begone."

"That felt like an insult," Obi-Wan muttered, and Satine leaned over his shoulder with a sickly-sweet smirk.

"I'd take it as one."

-- 

"I get the feeling he just wanted to get rid of us," Obi-Wan thought aloud as they walked down the middle of the street. Satine snorted.

"Well, of course he did. Do you have any idea how annoying you are?"

Obi-Wan elbowed her and ignored her muffled 'ow'. "I think he'd just had enough of your whining."

She stuck her tongue out at him, you know, like a perfectly mature 17-year-old would. And Obi-Wan, being Obi-Wan, sent the gesture right back her way.

Suddenly, the topic had changed, and Satine cocked her head at a thought. "Do you think there's someone in the woods right now, watching us?"

"Ah, what a nice thought."

Satine hummed. "Probably the creepy lady from The Ring. But who knows, maybe it's... something else."

"Why would you say that?" Obi-Wan stifled a shiver and glanced around at the rows of trees that lined the side of the road, "You know I don't like that kind of stuff."

"Consider it revenge. Don't worry, if you're scared, you can hold my hand. I'll keep you safe."

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes as she laughed at him. But as their knuckles brushed and butterflies of confidence fluttered in his chest, he decided that he'd take her up on that offer and grabbed her hand. Now, it was his turn to laugh at her as she blushed in the moonlight.

She hardened her expression and tried to focus on the road ahead. "W-well? Do you feel better now?"

He squeezed her hand and moved closer to her. At that, she lost her resolve, and her thoughts gushed about how close he was and how warm his hand was and how safe she felt near him and how the moonlight seemed to shimmer in his eyes as they bore into her soul. He chuckled sincerely and smiled a knowing smile at her, as if he could read her thoughts.

"Much better, thank you."