Cliff's Edge

I'm not sure if I should put a trigger warning on this but I will say there's a few references to suicidal ideation

also I'm sorry, this one's a bit sloppy 

--

Ahsoka sat on the edge of the cliff, thoughtlessly dangling her feet over the river far, far below. Soon, this spot along the cliff's edge would be crowded with people ready to watch the fireworks go off over the Royal Palace across the ravine. There would be no place for her pondering among them. For now, though, it was almost like the present moment belonged to her alone.

A gentle breeze flowed by, carrying a thick, sweet, distinctly flowery scent. There was a certain warmth in the air, and a coolness on the breeze that manifested itself as the shadows that befell the land. She couldn't help but wonder when the first glinting star would appear in the fading sunset.

She felt the delicate balance of life that surrounded her - the tree that she leaned against, its leaves rustling; the grass that bristled behind her; the muffled sound of the crushing waterfalls that echoed in the valley below. It all felt connected, and she felt it; She was connected, too. She herself was part of the balance here.

Ahsoka didn't know why she was here. She most definitely wasn't here to watch the fireworks. She had just seemed drawn here - drawn to the purple-pink hue of the landscape as the sun lowered itself over the horizon. The Force had seemed to bring her here, and it had seemed to sit her down and tell her to watch. To wait. For what, she didn't know. But she trusted the Force, so what could it hurt?

She rested her head against the mossy bark of the tree.

Suddenly, something felt off.

The balance was broken. 

Her heel hit the side of the cliff, and a rock went tumbling down into the abyss below. As she heard it hit ledge after ledge and shatter into pieces, she realized how quiet it really was. There were no people, no birds, no bees or butterflies fluttering about. The breeze had stopped and left the leaves and grass still. All she could hear was the water rushing, but even that seemed quiet. She couldn't even hear her own breathing.

And it wasn't just that - the Force seemed to have quieted, too.

Her chest heaved, hoping to fill the silence. But she still felt like she would suffocate. 

She still felt alone. 

"You know, it's funny." 

Ahsoka jumped. She almost jumped off the edge of the cliff, too. The sudden voice had nearly scared her to death - literally. She turned around to look at the person behind her. Yep, Anakin.

"Master," she sighed and, rigidly, turned back around to look over the landscape. Why hadn't she noticed him sneaking up on her? Did it have something to do with the silence? "What is?"

Anakin stepped forward and draped his robe over her bare shoulders. He sat down next to her, sitting comfortably at the cliff's edge. He gazed over the horizon, a twinkle in his eyes. "12 years ago, I found Obi-Wan in this exact spot."

Ahsoka looked at him as she pulled the robe tighter over her. "Really? Master Obi-Wan? Why was... Why was he here?"

Anakin looked down at his boots. Just out of reach of his toes was one of the tree's twisted roots that jutted in and out of the side of the cliff. "He wouldn't tell me," With a chuckle, he looked up at the clouds in the sky, "When I asked, he told me that I didn't need to worry. So I just sat next to him for a while. It was just after Master Qui-Gon's funeral, so I can't imagine he was too happy."

Ahsoka followed his gaze and her eyes landed on a little ship entering the atmosphere and passing through the clouds. "What was he like?"

"Master Qui-Gon?"

Ahsoka nodded, easing back into the environment. "Yeah. I was too young to meet him while he was alive. But you knew him, right?"

"Well... I only knew him for a couple days, but he freed me from slavery and brought me to the Temple. He... He was different from the other Jedi, and he was like the father I never had. He believed in me. I don't know where I'd be now if he hadn't."

He glanced over at Ahsoka. She stared into the valley, a frown heavy on her lips. "Don't get me wrong, though. I'm... I'm glad that Obi-Wan trained me. Honestly. But... I feel like things would be different if Master Jinn had survived." 

She sighed and leaned back on her hands. "I wish I could've met him," She closed her eyes and felt the breeze rustle through a distant, moonlit field. Then, a thought crossed her mind, and she looked over at Anakin. "Didn't he die here on Naboo?"

Anakin swung his feet and looked down at the river that winded through the valley. Not even a Jedi could survive that fall. "Yeah, he... he did. Well," he said, straightening his posture, "I didn't come here to talk about him. I wanted to ask about you."

"Me?"

"Well, yeah. It's not normal that you find someone sitting on the edge of a cliff," He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, "How are you, Ahsoka?"

"Honestly, Master?" She leaned her head on his shoulder, "I feel like Bantha fodder."

"Do you... wanna talk about it?"

She sighed. She knew she should talk about it, and eventually she would. But right now felt so peaceful, no matter what she said. The sounds of nature were back, the sounds of balance, and that was enough. She felt so... above all her issues now, she could hardly think of them. She felt like the cloud drifting freely past the sunset with no fear of falling into the valley below. She didn't want to shatter the fragment of peace that she'd finally found herself, not now; She didn't want to keep herself from this momentary tranquility by saying any more.

"Not right now, Master. I think I'll be alright. It'll pass, I'm sure."

Anakin squeezed her shoulders. He could tell she was being honest, and he was proud of her for that. "Alright, if you're sure. But I'm right here if you ever need to talk. Always will be."

A subtle but genuine smile creased the corners of Ahsoka's eyes. "Thank you, Master."