Chapter 27

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Faerie-Slayer-through-summoned-
uninvited-ebook/dp/B0BVJSFV9J/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=1HAD2GFBJEN8Z&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700778973&sprefix=nadine+alliye%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-6

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed

Kade's Pov

We coursed through the woods for hours more. At this pace, we'd only have about six more to go. My thoughts were occupied with a thousands wonders but the main one that stood out from the rest was our kiss. In the moment, I had realized two of things, first one being that I had never felt so weak. I was the leading sovran warrior of my pack for many seasons, always seemingly the strongest and steadiest. At the will of Aubrette Evergreen, I was merely a puppet. I realized that she was the most beautiful and enticing creature that I have ever seen, both mortal and immortal. Aubrette was truly sculpted by angels and gods that favoured her greatly. Nothing in the past had been able to take my breath so. Secondly, there was no mistake to be made, no more dubiety nor disbelief, that Aubrette was my mate.  During the kiss I had questioned whether shes placed me under some strange trance that only a Moiety Child can summon. That cannot be possible for she does not know of her capabilities.
Nor do I.

I thought about how it would feel to leave her at the safety of Alexander Lupus. The word abandon came to mind. Suddenly, the thought began to pain me. After I'd drop off Aubrette, I intended to return to Deadwood Creek and find out what is it exactly that my father was hiding from me. I'd convince him to keep the girl alive because she was half mortal. I wasn't certain about how I could protect her from the creatures of the folk. There had to be a way to fake her death, a way to convince them Aubrette is long gone so that they could finally abandon their wicked motives for her.

Perhaps I could convince father to tell his faerie friend that Aubrette is indeed dead. Perhaps he then could tell the other faeries.
But I knew that it would never be this simple.
One step at a time, I thought to myself.
The back of my throat and tongue ached with thirst. I caught sight of a glistening river about a mile out . I began to slow down eventually into a stride. I felt Aubrette's grip on my gear loosen. By the water now, I kneeled so she could jump off. I gazed at her with curious eyes and watched as she slummed her body down by a tree trunk, the impact causing her yellow hair to fall cape at her shoulders. She was clearly relieved for the rest, I realized this as she dug into the pockets of her backpack and retrieved an empty bottle of water. She leaned forward and filled it with contents from the riverbank, she used it to wash her face. Her sight met mine and I was quick to alter my gaze, realIzing that I'd been staring.
I bowed my head to moisten my mouth with the water of the river before sipping. The unfamiliar taste was bitter. I scrunched my eyebrows and mentally pondered on where I had recognized the flavour from. The impact of the realization hit me like a pound of bricks. By the tree, Aubrette's eyes were closing slowly.
The water was poisoned.

I hurried to shift in an attempt to get to the vile of salt, but it would not have mattered anyway. This was wild berry poison and salt was not the antidote. They have found us and I foolishly marched us into their trap. I felt my limbs began to numb as the feeling of shifting back into a mortal began to fade into an aching buzz. I could not decipher whether or not I had fully shifted. I could only feel the weakening of my legs and the buckling of my knees. I hit the ground with a soundless thud, in the distance, I could see ogres armed with dried wild berry necklaces as bright as the colour purple. Suddenly, the lights of the world had gone out and my vision was black.

When I rose, the pounding of my head bid me good morning. My vision was returning in bits and pieces. My hands were chained behind my back with silver cuffs that burned when pressed against my skin. At the grasp of the chain were ogres. Four of them formed a square around me.