Chapter 22

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Faerie-Slayer-through-summoned-
uninvited-ebook/dp/B0BVJSFV9J/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=1HAD2GFBJEN8Z&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700778973&sprefix=nadine+alliye%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-6

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :)

Updates twice a week, enjoy

Kade's Pov

The sun had still not risen when my cellphone had gone off. I groaned into my pillow and stirred awake, grasping ahold of the damn thing. The time displayed was five am. I had gotten but a few hours of sleep thus far.
The called ID was Candice. I debated not answering, but for her to be calling at such as hour meant that this could be urgent and so I hit the button that said; answer.

"Hello?" My voice was still waking up. It was deep and hardly audible.

"They found him!" The urgency of her yelp was like a pump of adrenaline. I sat up immediately," he's dead!"

"Who's dead?" I struggled to search my mind for the answer.

"Mike! The bounty guys, the humans! They shot him!"

I was up on my feet within a second. Cellphone balancing between my shoulder and my ear, I wiggled into my shifting gear.

"Where are you now?"

"Behind Deadwood Creek, by the old willow tree closest to the reserve."

I knew exactly where that was," I'll be there in ten minutes."

I darted outside of my room, down the stairs and shifted as soon as I was outside. I scurried as fast as I could to the creek, mentally praying over and over again that it wasn't true, that Mike was not dead. If he were true and Mike had been killed by a mortal, then it would all be my fault.

When I arrived to the scene of the old willow, Candice was not within sight at first. Forming a circle around the center of something I could not make out were my father, Luce Atlas, Paul, Jacob and a few others I recognized as family members of Mike and Candice. I heard the heart broken cries of someone nearby. They surrounded Candice as she sobbed into Mike's limp body. He was still in the form of a wolf, his brown shaggy fur was stained with the blood of the seeping bullet that had hit his head. Someone from the circle had tried to pick Candice up but she wouldn't budge. She'd always loved her little cousin as if he were her sibling. I felt tormented that this could have happened because of me. I had shifted a few meters back behind a tree. Father had stepped out of the circle when he'd seen me.

"What are you doing here?" He began and I found that hard to understand how that could he his first question. He knew of my history with Candice, how could he think that I would not come?

"What happened?" I answered with instead.

"One of the bounty hunters, they found Mike drinking out of the Creek about half an hour ago."

"Did he know about your new rules? About not shifting?"

"He's a newly shifted wolf, he can't always control himself."

The loudening screams of Candices cries brought us both to silence. She buried her face further into the nape of her cousin now blood stained as well.

"We have to get rid of the body soon," father began again," before the killer returns with the police."

"She needs more time."

"We're running out of it. They are most likely on their way here."

I had no solution to cough up. There was not a world where I would abandon Candice and leave her to fend for herself in the face or mortals. I knew I was the only hope that we had to get her to get up and walk away.