FIFTY EIGHT

You find I'm even better than you imagined I would be

you imagined I would be.

**********

Zoya took a sip of her coffee and stared at the blooming sunflowers that were planted in the backyard of the Khan mansion in Bhopal.

It had been three years of her being the eldest daughter-in-law of the Khan Khandaan. And she had loved every minute of it. Salah and Ruhani were the best in-laws she could ever ask for. And even though she couldn't live in Bhopal with them, she didn't let go of any chance to visit them regularly. And not only her, even Sehrish loved this place. The Khan Mansion was their home now.

They made sure to spend both the Eids in Bhopal, but this time Zoya and Shahveer had decided to celebrate his birthday with the family. And so, they were here, two days before his birthday.

This was Shahveer's fourth birthday that he was celebrating with his girls, and this time, Zoya was completely clueless about what to gift him.

So, here she was, sitting in the lawn with her coffee and brainstorming. Last night she had asked him what he wanted, and he had just smiled and said, "You are all I'd ever need."

She huffed thinking about his line. Three years later, he had still not given up his flirty ways. Not that she didn't love when he got all cheesy and romantic with her, but it'd have been kind of nice if he'd just simply demanded something from her as the birthday gift.

Then, suddenly it clicked her. A smirk came on her lips as she figured out what to give him. And she also knew how much he'd love it.

At night, the entire family sat down to have dinner. Saahir(who had shifted back to Bhopal after finishing his degree and had taken over the business) was talking to Shahveer about some new business venture, Salah and Ruhani were engaged in a conversation with Sehrish. She was telling her grandparents about the quiz competition she had won in school. Zoya's eyes fell on the head of the chair, which was empty now. Because the one was sat on it, the matriarch of this family, Mariam, had left them roughly a year after their marriage. At the age of 96, she had passed away in her sleep, leaving the entire family and the city mourning.

The dinner ended and the parents took off to their bedroom. Sehrish was sleepy as well so Shahveer went to put her to sleep.

Zoya stayed back to help the maids clean the kitchen and so did Saahir.

"Were you in Jaipur recently?" She asked as she put the leftovers in the fridge.

"Yeah," He hesitated, "who told you?"

"I saw your Instagram story you put up from the airport. Was it a work trip?" She asked.

"Kind off. But it turned out to be the best trip of my life." He fondly said.

"Did you get the time to see the city?"

"Yeah," He nodded, "I was fortunate to get the best tour guide."