TWENTY NINE

You showed me colours you know I can't see with anyone else

you know I can't see with anyone else.

***********

Zoya called for the elevator and then turned around to look at the closed door of Shahveer's apartment. For the past three weeks, he always matched his time to catch her in the corridor so they could ride the lift together. Not even once was he late. Till today.

When she came out of her home, there was no sign of him. And it felt so odd to her. She knew it was no coincidence that he met her every day. But she didn't know how much she liked that, until today. No matter how much she ignored the feeling, she knew she was missing his dazzling smile that greeted her every morning.

The lift arrived at her floor and the doors opened. She sighed and stepped forward to walk inside. She had already missed the lift twice while waiting for him to show up. But how long could she just stand in the corridor and watch the lift come and go?

She entered the closed space, and stood with her back towards the door of the lift. She waited for the doors to close, but instead, a familiar voice greeted her. "Missed me?"

She spinned around. And there he was. Sporting jeans and a plain t-shirt with messy hair. His appearance was enough to tell that he had gotten dressed in haste. He still looked gorgeous.

Her dull mood was gone in a second. His smile made her content. And even though every fiber of her was aching to smile, she kept a neutral face and said, "Why would I miss you?"

He smirked and removed his leg that was holding the door from closing and came inside. The lift closed and started to move down. "If you weren't waiting for me, then why are you still here? Shouldn’t you have been in your cab fifteen minutes ago?" He said while glancing at his wrist watch.

"You're delusional." Her face was void of any expression, but her eyes.. Those brown orbs were like an open book to him. Just one look at her, and he knew what was going on in her heart.

The relief in her eyes that was there when she saw him was the kind of relief that you get after finding something you were looking for for so long. And that told him she was waiting for him. And he would be lying if he said that didn't swell his heart.

When they reached the ground floor, she started to leave, but he stopped her. And with the softest tone possible, he said, "I am sorry for making you wait. I promise not to be late from tomorrow."

He was always joking and flirting with her, so the sincerity in his eyes and honesty in his words came as a surprise. But honest he was, because the woman in front of her was too precious to wait for anything or anyone. It was the world that should function according to her. And he'd be damned if he didn't make it happen.

________________

"Welcome home," Shahveer and Sehrish greeted Zoya together when she came back home after a long day at work.