FOUR

We're happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time,It's miserable and magical

It's miserable and magical.

*****************

Zoya groaned a little before slowly opening her eyes, but quickly shut it back again since the light was too bright. Blinking a few times, she opened it again.

Her surroundings told her that she was in a hospital room, alone. The last she remembered was pushing a human out of her body, before passing out of exhaustion. After all, she had 18 hour long labor. There was no one in the room, no one to tell her where her child was, how her child was. She was just about to get up when the door opened and a nurse walked in.

"Oh, you're up. How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Where is my baby?" Zoya immediately asked.

"She's fine. She's in the nursery. Do you want me to get her?" The nurse said.

"She?" Zoya gasped.

"It's a girl." The nurse smiled. And Zoya did too. She had a daughter, MashaAllah.

The nurse left to get the newborn. Meanwhile a Dr Neelam came to check up on Zoya.

"Where is my family?" Zoya finally asked.

Neelam sighed. "Your husband and in-laws left just after they heard that it was a girl. And your parents stayed till the visiting hours ended, but they said they'll be back tomorrow morning."

Zoya expected this. There was no way her mother-in-law would be even slightly happy.

The nurse came back with the baby and handed it to Zoya. Wrapped in a pink blanket, she was the most beautiful thing Zoya had ever seen. Her big, brown eyes, button nose, pink lips made her heart skip a beat. Did she actually create this little human?

Zoya forwarded her index finger to caress her cheek. The fascinated child held her finger in between her tiny hands and put it in her mouth.

"Allah," Zoya cried in joy and a few tears leaked from her eyes. She had never experienced this sort of happiness before. So raw. So pure. So selfless.

"You need to feed her." The nurse said and helped Zoya shrug off the hospital gown from one shoulder. The child hurriedly latched her mouth to Zoya’s nipples and started sucking. It did hurt a little, but nothing Zoya couldn't handle.

The child was left with her mother for the night. She slept soon after, but Zoya just sat there with her in her arms, admiring her. Then she took her phone, clicked a picture of the baby and sent it to Aarti telling her that she's officially a khala now.