THIRTY TWO

Darling, let's run, run from it all

Darling, let's run,
run from it all.

********

Zoya’s hands subconsciously played with the fork in her hand as her mind replayed the events from yesterday night. The way Shahveer came close to her to put the teeka, how his breath fell on her skin and made her heart tingle, the tension that enveloped them. She just wasn't able to get him out of her head.

"Zoya?" Aarti shook her by her shoulder, and that made her snap back into reality.

"I've called you four times, where are you lost?" Aarti asked while putting a plate of shakshuka in front of her.

"It's nothing." Zoya shook her head and dug into her food.

Aarti sat down opposite to her with her plate. "You sure?"

"Yes, just some work stress."

"Or.." Aarti smirked, "Is it Shahveer?"

Zoya’s eyes widened.

"I've been with you since forever. I know things that your heart doesn't even tell you."

Sighing, Zoya avoided meeting eyes with Aarti.

"Tell me what's wrong." Aarti reached over to hold her hand.

"I don't know," Zoya said, "I don't know what is happening with me. I like spending time with him, but when we're together, that feeling that I get, it also scares me."

"Why?"

"Because what if I get attached to his presence, and then he leaves. I don’t think I can get hurt again. I won't be able to.." The rest of her words turned into small sobs.

"Shh," Aarti wiped Zoya’s tears. "I understand that you're trying to protect your heart, but not allowing yourself to attach to anyone isn't the right way."

"I am attached to people. I have you, Rohit, Kian and most importantly, I have Sehrish. I don’t need anyone else." Zoya said.

It made Aarti smile. "Yes, and we're always going to be there. But eventually, you will start craving for a partner. You're just 25, you can't possibly live the rest of your life alone. It isn't healthy, neither mentally, nor physically."

Zoya was still not convinced. "But what about Sehrish? I won't do anything that would make her uncomfortable."

"I won't say the typical dialogue that Sehrish needs a father and blah blah. I know that you're raising her in the best possible way just by yourself. But if you find a partner that would love you and Sehrish both then what is the harm in that?"

"But.." Zoya was in deep thought, "Why would any guy choose me and Sehrish when he can easily have a girl with no past baggage?"

Aarti was amused now. "You seriously underestimate how awesome you are. And any guy would be lucky to have you and Sehrish."