FORTY SEVEN

You are the best thing that's ever been mine

that's ever been mine.

********

It took Zoya almost an hour to drape the beautiful black saare with multi-color work all over it. And then another hour to set her hair and do her makeup. She wore an antique looking necklace with colorful stones, rings and mixed and matched kangans.

Sehrish was wearing her white kurta and sharara with kadhai and stones all over it. Along with it, Zoya had also made her wear a small maang tikka with her hair open.

Shahveer knocked on their door before entering. "Ready?" He was looking so handsome in his black kurta with a matching shawl around his neck.

Zoya touched up her lipstick once more before nodding. He held Sehrish's hand with one hand, and the other slipped around Zoya's waist.

"You look like a nawab." She said, touching his shawl.

"And you," He whispered, "look like my nawab begum."

She blushed at his words as they left the room together. While walking towards the party hall, which was at another corner of the mansion, she wondered if she was overdressed. Maybe she should have taken off the necklace.

________________

She certainly wasn't overdressed. Because the party hall, or more of a ballroom, was filled with 50-70 guests. And Zoya could identify quite a few faces, because they were famous.

She found the chief minister of Madhya Pradesh, along with his family mingling around. There were also many known faces of the business world as well. And then there was Saif Ali Khan along with Sharmila Tagore.

"There are also bollywood celebrities here?" Zoya asked Shahveer.

"No, just the Pataudi family. We're distant relatives." He told her.

She stared at him with her mouth slightly open.

"It is not that big a deal." He tried to coax her.

She scoffed at him but said nothing.

They then went to meet Mariam and wish her a happy birthday. Zoya gave her a wrapper gift, while Sehrish passed her a single white rose that she had plucked herself from the grounds of the mansion. Mariam thanked them both formally and took the gifts.

Shahveer introduced Zoya to a lot of guests. Even Saif Ali Khan. They even got to click some pictures together. The cake was cut after that and everyone sang happy birthday to Mariam.

While having dinner, Zoya noticed that her black hair tie was still wrapped around his left wrist.

"You didn't take it off?" She asked, touching his hand.

He shrugged. "It makes me feel closer to you."

He then turned his attention to Sehrish and helped her eat her food, while Zoya just stared at her man fondly.