THIRTY SIX

You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye

look in your eye.

**********

For the first time in her life, Zoya experienced chivalry.

Like an absolute gentleman, Shahveer opened the car doors for her and Sehrish. He even bent down to pick up the end of her dupatta that was lying out of the car before shutting the door. Then at the restaurant, he pulled out chairs for both the girls and helped them settle.

The dinner was one of the best ones Zoya had ever had. And her company had everything to do with it. Throughout, Shahveer made sure that Sehrish was satisfied with her meal and he even helped her eat.

Then for dessert, he drove them to an ice cream parlor. Zoya was not happy with it, given the changing weather, but the other two gave her their puppy eyes and promised it'd be the last for this season. Of course, she gave in. Shahveer took roasted almonds, Sehrish asked for cookies and cream while Zoya wanted plain vanilla. But all three ended up sharing.

By the time they reached home, Sehrish was ready to fall onto bed.

"Do you want to come in for coffee?" Zoya came up with the first excuse she could think of to ask him to stay a little longer.

Only a fool would deny such an offer, and he wasn't one. So he eagerly nodded.

"Let me just put Sehru to bed." She said and took the child to her nursery. She changed her clothes and then ushered her in bed.

"Mama," Sehrish sleepily said, "I had fun today."

"Me too, sweetie." Zoya lovingly kissed her forehead.

"I like Shahveer." Sehrish muttered before dozing off. She was really tired.

Zoya smiled and whispered, "Me too."

She then came back to the living room to find him waiting for her.

"Can we have green tea instead?" She cutely asked.

He let out a relaxed sigh. "Thank God you asked, because I'm too full to have coffee."

She chuckled before going to the kitchen. Discarding her dupatta, she got to making the tea. A minute later, she felt his presence behind him. Her hands halted for a second in nervousness but she masked it quickly and continued. She was working facing the counter, while he turned to lean his ass on the counter. And continued to stare at her. Giddy, that's what he was making her feel. One part of her wanted him to stop, while the other part was loving his gaze.

"Thank you for today," She finally spoke while passing him his cup.

He raised an eyebrow. "Thank you for taking you outside?"

She shook her head. "For taking my mind off Zaina's wedding. I know you took us out because if not, I'd sit at home and think about how I couldn’t be with my sister today."

He smiled softly. She jumped slightly to sit on the counter. Then in the eerie, comfortable silence, they drank the tea.

Once their cups were empty, there was nothing left to do other than saying goodnight. They walked till the door together and then stood there a few seconds, looking at each other. Neither he wanted to leave, nor she wanted him to go.

"I'll see you tomorrow, before going to work?" He asked.

Of course, he would. After all, his day doesn't start without her. She vigorously nodded.

Another few seconds later he finally broke their eye contact and was about to open the door to leave. But her heart wasn't ready to end such a beautiful day like this. They couldn't say bye like this. Something more had to happen.

So she stepped forward nervously, making him stop. Then, she wrapped her shivering arms around his waist and rested her head on his chest, exactly where his heart was. She felt his body freeze and his heart pick up pace. Her condition was no different though. As he stayed put for a few seconds, a fear of rejection rose in her. But before she could get embarrassed or ponder over it, she felt him raise his hands and snake it around her body. Then he pulled her closer to him while inhaling her scent loudly.

They stayed in that position for a long time.

Feeling close to each other.

Embracing each other.

Being in anyone else's arms had never felt this good before for both of them.

If only they could stop time there.

Before parting away, she felt him place a small kiss on her hair, which made her mentally sigh.

"Goodnight," He whispered.

She replied to him back, and then he was gone.

The house looked somewhat empty without him.

With a heavy heart, she went to her room, changed and got into bed.

The time was 11:30 pm.

Nine and half hours to go. She told herself and closed her eyes to sleep.

________________

And nine and half hours later he was standing at her door.

"I am running super late today." He said in a hoarse voice as soon as she opened the door.

"Did you get a cold?" She worriedly asked. It was clearly visible on his face that he wasn't well. "I told you to not eat ice cream, but did you listen to me!"

He shook his head. "It's nothing. I am fine."

"You're not. Why are you even going to work? You should rest." She tried to pull him in by holding his shoulder.

"I have a very important meeting today." His raspy tone was making her more worried.

"I really have to hurry. And yes, is Sehrish fine or did she get a cold as well?" He asked. The possibility of her getting sick as well was gripping his heart. He'd be so mad at himself if Sehrish fell sick.

"She isn't up yet."

"Text me once she wakes up. Now bye," He brought up his fingers to graze her right cheek softly and hurried towards the elevator.

Sehrish showed no sign of cold after waking up, which Zoya was glad about. She even messaged him informing him that Sehrish was fine. But his health had her worried the entire day.

So before dinner, she called up Aarti to ask for her recipe of chicken soup. Then she made it for him.

Through the balcony, she could see his living room's light was on, which meant he was back home. She packed the soup and informed Sehrish that they were going to Shahveer's place, which obviously got the little one very chirpy.

And then for the very first time, she rang his doorbell.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

After quite a few days later, here I am.

I missed you all!