FIVE

I came out alive, but I'm black and blue

I came out alive,
but I'm black and blue.
Before you ask me if I'm alright,
think about what I had to do.

****************

Zoya pulled her suits out of the hangers and put them inside her suitcase. Then she opened the drawers and pulled out her file that contained her degrees and documents. Lastly, she unlocked the safe and got all her wedding jewelry. At that moment she didn't care what anyone would say. Her parents had given her that jewelry, and she was going to take it with her. She was not alone, she had her daughter with her, so she needed to have some assets. Her jewelry wouldn't be worth more than three or four lakhs, but it would sustain her for a few months.

She didn't have a lot of stuff, so one big suitcase was enough. She looked around to make sure she had everything with her before leaving the room with her child in one hand and her luggage in another.

Her in-laws and Rizwan were laughing about something when Rania's eyes fell on Zoya. She raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Whose luggage is that?"

"Mine," Zoya said as she stood in front of them. "I am leaving."

"Leaving where?" Rania asked.

"Leaving as in leaving your son and this pathetic marriage."

A chuckle left Rizwan's lips. "Have you gone crazy?"

"No, actually I've just gotten into my senses." Zoya replied as firmly as she could. "I can not tolerate this namesake relationship anymore. Neither can I deal with a cheating husband like you."

"What do you mean by that?" The father-in-law spoke for the first time.

"Your son is having an affair."

A gasp left Rania's mouth. "Is it true?" She asked Rizwan.

He stayed silent for a few seconds before admitting, "Yes, it is true."

Rania thought for a while before speaking, "So you're leaving because he got attracted to another woman."

"That is one of the many reasons." Zoya said.

"This conversation is so stupid. No one is going anywhere." Rizwan screamed. "Go back to the room."

"I am done taking orders from you." Zoya retorted back. "Me and my daughter are leaving. You'll be getting the divorce papers soon."

"Hah! Divorce? You think you can divorce me?" Rizwan laughed. "Okay, and after that who is going to take care of you and your daughter? Your father, who can barely afford raising his unmarried daughters?"