THIRTY FIVE

For you, I would cross the line

I would waste my time.
I would lose my mind.

**********

"Oh my God, I don't think you've ever looked this pretty." Zoya, with tears in her eyes, said to Zaina on video call.

It was her wedding day, and after getting ready, she had called Zoya to show her the outfit.

"I am so so happy." Zoya's voice was breaking looking at her baby sister, all decked up as a bride.

"I wish you were here." Zaina sadly pouted.

"I am always there with you." Zoya promised.

Then Sehrish also came to see her khala and gushed cutely about how she looked like a princess.

They hung up after a couple of minutes because it was time for the nikah. Zoya saw a text from Kian, asking how she was doing. She had told him about the wedding and he just wanted to make sure she was not too sad about not being able to attend it. She smiled at his concern and replied back positively.But honestly, no matter how much she pretended to be fine, she was hurting inside.

It was only two in the afternoon and she had the whole day in front of her. So to take her mind off it, she decided to clean the apartment. Even though it was Monday, it wasn't a working day. Because it was Diwali. Yes, Zaina was getting married on the day of Diwali and she hadn't shut up about how the entire country was going to light up diyas on her special day.

The next two hours, she dusted and cleaned every furniture and wall hangings around the house, changed sheets and brought out all the candles she had. Then she put them around the living room to light up in the evening.

By five in the evening, she had run out of ways to keep herself busy. She couldn’t even go to Aarti's since they had gone to her in-laws' place to celebrate the festival. Sprawled on the sofa, she mindlessly watched the cartoon on the television that Sehrish was enjoying.

A couple of minutes later, the doorbell rang. And it made her smile excitedly. Because her sixth sense told her it was Shahveer. And her gut was right. It was him, indeed. Dressed in a pastel pink kurta pajama.

She let him in instantly and not more than a second later, Sehrish was in his arms.

"Why are you dressed?" Zoya asked him, eyeing his outfit that made him look so hot. She thought that him wearing formal suits would be her favorite sight, but all it took was a simple kurta to beat that.

"Because it is Diwali." He told her, "and you both are getting dressed as well."

"And then what? Sitting at home?" Zoya raised an eyebrow.

"You ask a lot of questions. Just go get ready." He ordered her.

She was tempted to ask more questions, but she didn't. For she trusted him.