Forty-Eight

It was not often that your eyes trembled with tension. Pressure pressed against your eyeballs as if they wanted to pop out of your head.

The vibration of the car, coupled with the unevenness of the road, made it difficult to find a stable footing.

There was no confirmation yet if Alejandro was hanging on the outside of the car, but even if he was, you didn't imagine it would be easy to take out the other one.

"You ready, 100?", asked Price, exhaling a breath of smoke.

It smelled of ashes and burned herbs.

You curled your nose, disgusted. Yet the smell was enough to sharpen your senses.

"I'm sound.", you replied, your gaze fixed on the car in front of you.

Your finger twitched on the trigger. You could feel it in your fingertips that this shot was significant.

As soon as Price gave the signal, everything had to happen quickly.

No mistakes were allowed.

Hopefully Rudi was a good driver. He had to get the vehicle close enough for you and Price to climb over. And even after that, he had to stay within reach in case of an emergency.

Of course, you wanted to avoid that.

But in this job, one could never know.

"We're closing in!", Rudi called through the open window. "Get ready, it could be that if they noticed us they try to escape."

An approving hum escaped you.

"Can you recognise Alejandro?", you asked.

"Negative. He's not outside."

"How do you know? We need solid proof."

Rudi pressed down on the gas.

The car jumped forward.

Now you were so close that it was impossible not to notice you.

One of the guards glanced over his shoulder.

A gun was pointed towards your direction.

One shot was fired, dedicated to hit a wheel. Thankfully this was an armoured vehicle and the tires needed more than that to pop.

"Rudi, we need confirmation, now or never!", Price shouted in his commanding tone.

He had talked to you like that in basic training and even still a while after you were sent with him on official missions.

For him, you would probably always be his student to whom he could give orders.

Even to others he had never had a gentler tone.

But you had believed that after all the years of experience his nerves had become grainy and he could no longer become so restless.

At that moment, you realised that even the legendary Captain Price was not immune to flawed human traits.

"Not Alejandro!", Rudi yelled and hit the gas. "He's not with them!"

"Roger that.", you squeezed one eye shut for focus. "Captain."

"Authority to shoot granted.", Price managed to pull the trigger mere seconds before you.

It was amazing how he managed to still be better than you despite you being on edge.

Adrenaline rushed through your veins as you aimed for a head and send one perfectly placed shot on its way.

The bullet struck directly into the neck of the target.

Immediately the guard slumped, lost his footing and fell to the ground.

Rudi was humane enough to dodge as the body threatened to fall under his wheels.

The swerve to the side threw you briefly off balance.

"Get a grip, Rudi!", you hit the roof of a car with your fist in a protesting manner.

"Lo siento!"

"Scratch that. How much closer can we get?"

"Doesn't matter, we will jump.", Price suddenly ordered and hit the roof to make Rudi speed up. "100, you're on me. I need you to slide through the window."

You frowned uncertainly.

You had already stormed a car once, even while driving at full speed. But the thought of heavily armed narcos waiting on the other side of the black windows didn't make it easy for you to make a decision.

On the other hand, it would be a fucking epic death.

"Oh steaming bloody shit!", you threw your head back and let out a scream to ease the tension. "Whatever it takes, I trust in you, John!"

Your (E/C) eyes met his bright blue ones.

A hint of confusion appeared in his gaze.

"You can't call me that, (Y/N).", he raised the gun and pulled the trigger.

Glass shattered.

A broad, teasing grin appeared on your face. You flipped him off.

"Tell only the best stories about me.", you turned around in a flash and jumped off the loading ramp.

You landed feet first in the interior of the getaway vehicle.
Tires squeaked.

Whoever drove pulled to the side, startled by the sudden noise.

Below you, a person flinched in fright, hands wandered over your body in search of a weapon.

Reflexively, you punched upwards.

The little space ensured that no attack remained aimless.
Distorted with pain, the man, whose nose your fist had probably broken, cried out. In the same breath you jerked your knee up and rammed it straight into the teeth of the second narco sitting in the back seat.

"Alejandro, if you are in this vehicle, now would be a good time to show yourself!", you gasped as your gaze fell directly into the barrel of a gun.

A woman sat in the passenger seat. Short, pitch-black hair framed her face, which was contorted in a grim expression.

"Who the hell are you?", she asked with her finger on the trigger.

You took a second to look at her more closely.

"Sin Nombre.", you nodded your head respectfully. "An honour to finally meet you. After I fucked with half your business."

Her black eyes narrowed.

"Who the hell are you, pendejo?!", she repeated and pressed the barrel of the gun against your forehead.

An icy lightning chased through your body.

Goosebumps grew all over your body.

"That's my reinforcement.", a raspy voice answered from the  drivers seat.

All of a sudden, a gun was pressed against her temple.

Her face dropped.

But only for a second.

"Alejandro.", a smirk made her show two rows of pearly white teeth.

"Valeria.", Alejandro threw a glance over his shoulder to check on you.

He wore a black mask, but you recognised the shimmer in his eyes.

"It's time to stop this car, amigo.", you said in a serious tone.