Forty-Two

Something was completely wrong.

The entire house was empty, at least the areas you and the other two soldiers searched.

There were no signs of people, there was no smell of questionable substances. Not even guard dogs roamed the rooms.

Eyebrows drawn together, you stopped in the large living room and raised a hand.

Ghost and Alejandro came to a halt.

"Something's not right here, amigo.", Alejandro muttered, glancing at the ceiling. "No bulbs in the lamps. Open cables."

Your eyes wandered through the darkness.

Everything looked untouched. Almost like a house that was still for sale.

Even some of the furniture was still wrapped in plastic.

A thin layer of dust covered the plastic.

In a swift movement you pulled out a drug testing kit and took a sample.

"What for?", Ghost asked, almost a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "We know that there's drugs here."

You hummed and shook the small plastic bag with clear liquid inside. In front of your eyes it reacted to the substance and turned bright blue.

Cocaine and amphetamines. A fatal mix, especially when breathed in directly.

"100 to Soap and Gaz. How's your status?", you asked over coms.

"I'm alright.", Gaz replied in a short manner.

"We found drug dust. Entire house is covered. Put on a mask. They are trying to drug us."

"Roger that."

You threw a glance over your shoulder.

Ghost kept his face mostly covered anyways. The only area that could have been affected were his eyes.

They would get irritated, but no long term damage could be dealt.

But it was always better to be safe than sorry.

With a gesture you signalised for the two men to put on their masks.

Then you pulled out your own.

You weren't claustrophobic, but the feeling that the tight mask laced around your face and the back of your head was something you would gladly do without.

Your own breath echoed in your ears. It was so loud that for a moment you couldn't concentrate.

Holding your breath, you let your eyes wander around the room.

There were four doors leading to four different corridors and other rooms. It was impossible to tell how far the paths went and how many possibilities there were to get lost in this house.

Danger could lurk around every corner.

A danger that could potentially be fatal.

"100, we should split up.", Ghost suggested.

You shook your head slightly.

It was a foolish plan, far more dangerous than proceeding in a group.

But it was also much faster. And the more time you spent looking, the more time El Sin Nombre had to disappear.

And Alejandro knew that as well as you did.

His impatience was growing, it was already showed in his eyes.

All that kept him from rushing off was the discipline the military had planted in him.

"100 to Gaz, what's your status?", you asked over the radio.

"Dead end.", he reported, audibly irritated. "This house is a fuckin' maze."

Everyone in the team was under pressure.

The tension was so palpable in the air that one could have cut it with a knife.

With a deep breath, you shut out all noise and created a moment of calm to be able to think.

Either you took the risk and chose the faster option or the mission would drag on for hours.

Whatever you chose, it had to be quick.

Time was running against you. For the narcos.

"We'll split up.", you finally decide. "All units, be on high alert. No independent action. As soon as there is visual contact, the other units will be called in for support."

Your eyes wandered over your shoulder to Alejandro.

He pulled a face. But he nodded his head in agreement.

"I want constant reports and communication.", you said and gestured for Ghost to join your side. "Ghost, you're on me. We take the Westside. Alejandro, go east. Soap and Gaz, I grant you independent authority. Stick to the plan."

On the other end of the line, Soap couldn't keep a chuckle to himself.

You ignored it, or at least tried, and moved with Ghost to the next room.

"Johnny, a word.", Ghost suddenly requested.

Fear that he would try and interfere rose in you.

But you didn't want to complain either.

Some things needed a right time and a right place. This was neither.

With a silent signal, you ordered Ghost to cut it out.

But he ignored you, just like he always did.

Now you could see why he and Soap got along so well. They both had some kind of ignorance to themselves.

It was annoying. Yet also quite lovable since it was one of their best qualities.

"No thanks, Lt. I've got nothin' to say.", Soap replied, audibly less tense and with a hint of a smirk in his voice.

"We need to get it together for this mission.", Ghost insisted.

"I'm sound."

"English."

You rolled your eyes.

"He's fine.", you translated. "Quit being so British. You know exactly what that meant. It's not that hard to guess."

Ghost's eyes moved to look at you for a moment.

"Glad you two share the same opinion.", he said and pushed past you to take the lead.

A soft sound of protest escaped you.

And even Soap couldn't help but make his disagreement be heard.

But there was no time to take things further.

Ghost came to a stand as he reached two doors at the end of the way.

His eyes moved up.

You followed his gaze, only to see that there were more loose cables hanging from the walls.

Good that we cut electricity, you hummed. Otherwise this place would fly around our heads.

"Never seen an electric chair, 100?", Ghost asked.

He almost sounded amused.

It confused you how someone was able to find amusement in something as cruel as being put on electricity.

Officially this torture method was illegal, but every now and then it came in handy to break certain rules.

"Seen it once.", you put a hand on the door to feel for vibrations on the other side. "I will never forget the smell of burned flesh and rain."