Fifteen

"You're a menace, MacTavish.", Ghost growled as you handed Pablo over to Rudi so that he would safely store him in a cell until further investigation.

A satisfied smile on your face and your arms crossed, you shrugged.

"Runs in the family.", you said and bumped Soap's shoulder with yours.

Rolling his eyes, he let out a deep breath and sighed.

"You could have listened to my advice.", he said.

"Yours? Nah."

"If not his, then mine.", Ghost noted with a glance from the side and turned away to join Price.

You followed him.

Soap missed the moment to walk with you and just remained standing awkwardly aside while his gaze followed the two of you.

His facial expression was grim, but not because you seemed to handle Ghost's unapproachable attitude. He seemed more concerned about the fact that you did your own thing and his big brotherly advise wasn't well received since you were above his rank.

It made the brother in him restless to know that you didn't need to stick with him the way you used to back in your childhood.

"Riley, a word.", you asked as you walked next to the large man. "It won't take long."

"Hm.", he simply replied and didn't even look at you.

"I get that you want to follow the rules, but sometimes that doesn't pay off."

A sound escaped him.

You took that as a sign that he wasn't all too thrilled after what had happened the night before.

Maybe it was best to be respectful towards his professional opinion, even though you didn't understand why he had wanted to retreat.

Before your arrival you had the time to check his files briefly. Judging by his mission reports he seemed like somebody who took risks if he seemed the payout worthy.

But the situation at the church had been worthy to take the shot, at least in your opinion.

Yet he had refused.

It made you wonder why.

"Lieutenant.", you grabbed him by the arm to make him stop before others were close enough to be able to hear the conversation.

Abruptly, he stopped, turned and looked at you.

For a moment, not a word was spoken and he just stared.

It made you a little nervous to feel the icy touch of his eyes for such a long time.

Then his gaze moved down to your hand and remained on it for an uncomfortable amount of time.

You let go.

"Sorry.", you patted his shoulder in an awkward way to apologise.

It made him glance at you in a silent, bothered manner again.

"What do you want?", he finally asked and grabbed the collar of his vest to give himself some air to breath.

For a brief moment your eyes fell onto his lower arm that was exposed by rolled up sleeves.

His pale skin of the left arm was covered in black ink while the right one had some visible scarring.

It seemed to be mostly vertical cuts as if he had dragged a blade over his own arm for some reason.

Both arms were run through by thick veins. He must keep himself well hydrated if they were so easy to see.

Every nurses wet dream, you thought with a smirk.

"I don't got all day, MacTavish.", his deep voice made you snap out of your thoughts.

Your eyes returned to his face.

"Right.", with your head tilted to the side, you crossed your arms in front of your chest. "When I joined this operation people told me you're a man who doesn't shy away from breaking the rules."

His eyes darkened.

"Correct.", slowly, he bend down to be closer to your eye level. "But this was just idiotic."

"Oh really? I don't think so."

"Then you think wrong."

You frowned.

"With all due respect, Lieutenant. But the way I see it is, we've got the one we wanted and don't have to dig in the dirt no more."

"And we took damages.", with his eyes he gestured towards your hand.

Totally delusional towards the injury up to this point, you raised your hand to take a look at the small cuts that the broken class window had caused.

Then you simply shrugged it off.

"Oh please, I've been scratched worse than that.", you said. "But that's not the point. My point is, you're know for risky missions and behaviour. I want that. Because rules just push us back. I don't plan on staying here longer than I have to."

"Rules are rules, Lieutenant.", he simply replied, audibly done with this conversation, and turned in an attempt to leave. "Follow them."

You stepped into his way.

"Firstly, it's 100 for you. Secondly...", you raised a finger to force him to pay attention. "You don't give a flying feck about the rules. So why now?"

With a low sound stuck in his throat, he eyed your face before his attention returned to your injured hand.

"Get this checked.", he pushed past you in such a rude manner that you almost fell over due to his sheer body mass. "And it's Ghost for you."

Rolling your eyes, you let out a groan and turned away so that you didn't have to look at him no more.

He annoyed you, yet there was no denying that he was a powerful operator. All you needed was to get him to cooperate the way you wanted.

That way the two of you would have the least trouble and it would be over fast.

"Told you he's hard to crack, aye?", Soap's voice made you look up.

Grimly, you pulled a face.

"Mhm.", you twisted your mouth, arms crossed. "But you also said he would warm up."

He shrugged.

"But not if you go head first."

You huffed.

"That's rich coming from you, airhead.", you leaned forward to look him in the eyes like you used to as a child. "You don't happen to have anything to do with his disapproval about my work?"

Something crossed his eyes.

You knew that expression.

He felt caught.

Annoyed, you squeezed your eyes shut and let out a deep breath.

"Johnny...", you sighed. "How many times?"

He shrugged.

"I have to watch out for you."

"Thanks. But that shouldn't affect my work with Riley."

He pulled a face.

"Lt will watch out for you, no matter if I ask him or not."

"Why?"

"Because we're friends and I'm your brother."

"Then tell him to stop."